• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wearing Gi outside of Dojo?

we pretty much have it set as wearing too and from class only. If you have to stop at the store take your belt off and wear a tshirt instead of the top.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see the differance. I dont see why it should matter. The Gi is just a resemblance of tradition Japanese clothing, the obi is just to take the place of the sash, also known as obi.

I would never wear it for fear of looking a fool. But I wear it daily as I train at home, or in my dojo, or in my teachers dojo.

To wear the uniform is just an act of tradition, it serves no other purpose. Why have rules that state for people to wear the gi at certain times only?

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

To me, wearing your top with the belt outside running around town is a challenge...it looks like you are out showing off, asking for trouble. Of course, there is always the ocassional exception....like getting a call in class telling you someone went to the hospital...(God forbid)

Using no Way, AS Way...

Using no Limitation, AS Limitation

Wouldn't it be kinda dumb to be showing off if your under a black belt?...I mean what can you truly be showing off to other people, who do not know the importance of the obi...

Even me if I see someone walking around wearing a green belt im pretty sure it would just be something I smirked at....it holds no recognition to my mind unless its black belt, because those are the ones who people actually mentally think of that are capable of showing off...

More and more I see people wearing their Karate uniform and belt outside of the Dojo. This is mainly kids but I have also seen a few adults. In our school this is a major No-No and subject to disciplinary action. What is the rule in your school??

Personally I would never wear my uniform outside of school. To me, that is just asking for trouble. That's my opinion - others might not think so.

Wearing your uniform on the street and then suppose you pass a group of people that want to antagonize or in their view "challenge" you.

It's best to bring a change of clothes and FIND a place to change - the bathroom, a quiet hallway while you have a classmate stand near so no one will see you....just find a way.

Adult or child, I would strongly recommend NOT wearing it outside the school for safety reasons.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

subject to disciplinary action

Out of curiosity what type of disciplinary action are you talking about?

I dont see the differance. I dont see why it should matter. The Gi is just a resemblance of tradition Japanese clothing, the obi is just to take the place of the sash, also known as obi.

I would never wear it for fear of looking a fool. But I wear it daily as I train at home, or in my dojo, or in my teachers dojo.

To wear the uniform is just an act of tradition, it serves no other purpose. Why have rules that state for people to wear the gi at certain times only?

Although we, as practicing Martial Artists, might not see the difference, the general public does. Not many would know, or care, that it is traditional Japanese garb. It looks out of place to most, and thus, can be a cause for attention. Some good, and some bad.

We generally tell our students they shouldn't wear their uniform unless they're either coming to the dojang, at the dojang, or on their way out to go to a home.

After a sweaty night I might leave my kick pants on, but I always change into a t-shirt before going anywhere. I almost had to go to drivers ed in my pants once, I ended up skipping that class. :lol:

Forgetting about what it looks like to other people, I would feel a little bit stupid myself. The most I'll ever wear is the bottoms in the car to and from if its a quick journey and I won't stop off for anything. Besides its white (as most people's are)... white is the worst colour for cleaning and I definately don't won't to get any extra dirt on it!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Although we, as practicing Martial Artists, might not see the difference, the general public does. Not many would know, or care, that it is traditional Japanese garb. It looks out of place to most, and thus, can be a cause for attention. Some good, and some bad.

Ahhh so your speaking of just to restrict them wearing it outside of the class as a preventative measure? haha now I understand a bit more.