• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wearing Gi outside of Dojo?

Patrick I would be interested, given that this post has 8 pages of replies, what the record is for a discussion theme. Seems that everyone and their do has a strong enough opinion on this subject to warrent them making the effort to reply.

We have some pretty long threads. :) This is a great one, though!

Patrick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been said before but I feel that it bears repeating. As crazy as it makes me, I don't see much of a problem with little kids/pre-teens wearing a full gi outside of class. Yes, I make it understood to each and everyone of my students, but, little kids/pre-teens are so darn proud of themselves and this includes the gi/belt. So, they wear it outside and to and from the dojo...I'm ok with it.

I too was once a little kid/pre-teen, I started in the martial arts when I was 7 years old, and even I wore the gi EVERYWHERE my mom/dad would let me...I WAS SO PROUD OF MYSELF! Yes, my sensei didn't tolerate the wearing of the gi outside of the dojo no matter the age, but, even he surrendered to little kids/pre-teens because even the hardest heart will melt under the gaze of a puppy-eyed look.

What's one to do?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

When I started training I was taught that you never wear your belt outside the Dojo unless you were at a tournament or a demonstration. It was acceptable to wear your gi. Of course this was before the Karate Kid, Ninja Turtles and the Power Rangers. It is now considered a form of advertisement. I still believe that the belt should be worn only in the Dojo.

• 2 weeks later...

I ussually change into my Gi when i arrive at training sometimes ill already have the trousers on. We dont really get the weather in Scotland to wear a Gi outside the Dojo. I may put it on if i were to train in my house myself as it is a pracical uniform designed for martial arts so its easier to train in i find than say a tracksuit

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community , against his will, is to prevent harm to others" (J.S Mill, On Liberty; 135)

• 7 months later...

seriously that doesnt matter! i wear it to and from if its just regular training becuase ill just get in the car and go...i sometimes put a hoody on if i walk a bit extra to the car but when i train elsewhere or comps i always change there....i dont go walking about after with it on...some neds will probably jump you to see if your actually a karate fighter and probably even more so if you wear a black belt

practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect

As an instructor, my general policy is for our seniors (14yrs+) should refrain from wearing their top and belt outside, in pretty much all cases except for public karate-related events or seminars.

For our juniors (under 14yrs) a lot of them come to class in their gi, and they are always accompanied by their parents, so I don't really see any major problems with harassment or getting into a fight, due to their supervision.

Personally, it depends on how much time I have. If I know I'm going to arrive at the dojo quite early, I come in normal cloths, if I know I will arrive with minimal time before lesson, I will wear my gi pants.

However, I usually always wear my dojo t-shirt. I don't necessarily want to promote that I do karate, however I know this will subsequently do so, but I do want to promote the school. I have gained 2 very good students, from wearing my t-shirt, who came up to me and asked about the school - so I see that as an okay thing.

Cheers,

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

I'm not sure if my dojo has a policy about this. As most have said, I only see young kids wearing their gi to class. I wear my gi pants sometimes when I'm going to train but I bring other cloths if i need to stop somewhere between the dojo and home.

My school is in a rural area where everyone knows each other. I see a lot of the kids walking to and from the class in their gi. Some of them wear the belt, some of them put the belt on when they get there.

The senseis don't mind if you come to class in the gi, but they don't like you wearing it elsewhere.

I've only just ordered my gi. I plan to wear it to class (just for convenience - the changing area is really cramped just before class because there's other activities finishing that share the same building), but to bring a sports bag with me and change out of the gi at the end of class so that I can go in to town afterwards.

The policy for my students is to not wear their top &/or belt outside the dojang unless it's a school event. I encourage them to change into their whole dobok when they get to class, but I allow them to wear the pants to & from home.

Years ago I taught at a community center where both my program & a karate program were run. The karate instructor (a man in his 40's) wore his full gi to & from class as if it were a badge of honor. The really sad part was he didn't wear a traditional gi, but a a demo-type gi. His instructor (a very traditional shihan) used to tell me (someone who is not his student) how ridiculous he thought his own student was.

For kids, I think wearing a uniform outside of class can bring unwanted attention. For adults, you're asking for that attention....& it's not a good look at the grocery store.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton