• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wearing Gi outside of Dojo?

More and more I see people wearing their Karate uniform and belt outside of the Dojo. This is mainly kids but I have also seen a few adults. In our school this is a major No-No and subject to disciplinary action. What is the rule in your school??

As iron sharpens iron,

so one man sharpens another. (Prov. 27:17)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wearing it outside the dojo how? I can honestly say I have never seen anyone wear it outside the dojo. Now, some of us if we're feeling suprememly lazy will wear our gi pants with regular shirts and shoes to come into the dojo, but we change as soon as we get there. Make sense?

There's no formal rule at our school, and lack of changing space means most people wear their gis to come to class, but other than that most don't. Of course, in my own opinion the gi and belt probably shouldn't be worn outside of a martial arts context, but I don't push that on other people; like I said, we have no formal rule.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Wearing it outside the dojo how? I can honestly say I have never seen anyone wear it outside the dojo. Now, some of us if we're feeling suprememly lazy will wear our gi pants with regular shirts and shoes to come into the dojo, but we change as soon as we get there. Make sense?

Ok, what I mean is someplace other than the Dojo. I’ve seen people at restaurants, grocery stores, shopping malls, and just plain out on the busy streets and sidewalks.

As iron sharpens iron,

so one man sharpens another. (Prov. 27:17)

No way. Really?

Wow I have never seen that before, and while I dont' believe we have a hard fast rule on it, I am CERTAIN my Sensei would have an anuryseum if he saw that.

Well when I was a kyu rank my dad would pick us up and we might go to the dinner inside the mall where the school was located at the time. There was also occasions when we would go get Chinese food afterward. I would normally wear my gi pants and a tshirt to these places, occasionally I would leave the gi top on if I had nothing else.

The rule there, and my rule no, is NEVER wear your belt outside of the dojo. I have always put a heavy emphasis on "I practice karate" and nothing more, to wear your gi says that, to wear you belt tells people you are an instructor etc.

I equate it to how officer hide their rank when there are reports of snipers. It is REALLY hard to hide that you do karate when you walk into a dojo, but you shouldn't let the whole world know your status because many people (more so on the teenage level) will pick fights because "o he doesn't know karate he just wears that black belt".

Just my 2 cents

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

Yeah, I've seen plenty of going to and from class with pants on and a shirt. I have no problems there. Nor do I have a problem with wearing the pants for a post workout stop for food or such. It's just a matter of convienance. I've done both of these plenty of times.

Personally, I wouldn't wear the top out. Certainly never the belt. I'd do my best to find a t shirt before having to stop out with a top on. Not due to any hard fast rule, simply because I'd feel kind of dippy. That's just me, not an indictment of anyone else.

See, if you get away from training in a gi, you get rid of this problem :) .

I feel that wearing the uniform elsewhere just leads to trouble. You may know everyone in your town, but it still is something that should just be worn to class.