• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Music and training

What music do you guys/girls like to train to when you're alone?

During instruction, we never have music on, but we'll usually put on someones ipod when we're just practicing.

Personally if we're doing hand to hand stuff we'll have on some video game symphony stuff. One of our dans is huge into that stuff, and final fantasy sound track is some awesome stuff to fight to (ex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MW65XxS7s ).

But in my training room, i'll pump some Prodigy or some old breakbeats when I want to get in a good Kenjutsu workout.

I also find music helps with my visualization, and since I'm trying to stay in constant motion to keep with the beat, I'll be much more creative with flow processes.

So, what music do you guys enjoy training to when you're not at the dojo?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the time we blast whatever's playing on the metal or areana rock station.

I'm still kind of old school, and like to throw in vintage Metallica or Ozzy.

One school I trained at had a European coach who loved the techo stuff. I hated it at first, but did learn to appreaciate the rythm that it brought to a heavy bag work out. Still, I use it sparinly these days.

Black Sabbath has some great work-out songs. Look for Turn up the Night and Buried Alive.

I love to listen to Iron Maiden or Queensryche's faster stuff as well as Sabbath, Dio, Metallica, Nevermore, and so much other stuff....mostly heavy metal. It's a great martial arts genre of music.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

As fot the creativity question, I'm not sure. I doubt it. I just like having soemthing going in the back ground to keep the energy levels up during training.

To be honest, I don't even notice it when I'm active. But it's between the rounds that it kind of sub conciously filters in.

If we have music going it's usually just the classic rock station locally. Sometimes they'll throw on some Jimmy Buffett. If I am working out at home or something, I have a huge mix of music on my MP3. Everything from Muse to Eminem to Johnny Cash. :lol:

I don't listen to much when I work out. If its playing, thats fine, but I don't go out of my way to make sure I have some music on to work out to.

I think I only listened to music one or two times while working out, and that was some Tupac and Snoop...some might say that its not exactly the best martial music, but, hey its my style of music.

But im not a real fan of listening to music, I kinda lose my "fierce" side when im listening to music.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Depends on the mood I'm in.

Classical if I'm just going through moves of katas and what not.

Heavy metal if I'm doing a intense workout.

Techno type music when I'm shadow boxing or sparring with a partner.