• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Was there outstanding west man amongst martial arts creators

It is common to see and read about Chinese or Japanese martial artists who invented new systems today or in the past many years ago and it needs to notice that there mostly creators are from China, and Japan but how many people from west involved in creation? Is there are west people who invent great systems of martial arts? Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis, Ed Parker….and may be somebody else i do not remember ….i would say Ed Parker great inventor because he was first American with such reputation…Chuck Norris and Joe Lewis rather great champions than inventors…

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce Lee's work in JKD was ground breaking and in many ways set the stage for the modern combative surge in the arts. Alot of things he put together still stand as very effective. His true genuis, however, was in his outlook on training and experimentation. His principles of expanding and testing knowledge have not, and in all likleyhood, will not ever be eclipsed. Modified perhaps, but never thrown aside.

I think the Gracies go in the same catagory. Their take on jj and the development of bjj and it's subsequent influence on ma's in general certainly earn them a place in history. I know that there are certainly other submissive based grappling arts. But the Gracies not only developed their own system, but got it out there in the popular knowledge at the right time. They definatly fall into this catagory.

Guys with a good historical knowlege of boxing could probibly point to when and where it truely evolved into the "seet science" that it is today. A trainer somewhere was probibly respoinsble for that occurance. I just don't know who it'd be.

Good post, it'll be interesting to see who pops up on everyone's list.

I guess I should say, before everyone points out the obvious- obviously Lee is not a western national. However, I included him simply becuase the majority of the work done on JKD was done while in America and invovled some decidedly western influences such as boxing, wrestling, and fencing.

Ok, maybe not to the letter of the OP but maybe the spirit.

Thanks for reply...yeah, bruce lee was west man but really he was chinese and as chinese he could invent outstanding system like JKD...because mostly martial arts from Asia...it means he can not go to this category... i have wanted to ask about people of europe...who had no possibility to learn and read martial arts like chinese or japanese in the middle of 20 st century...Gracie is rather great fighter than inventor i think(therefore he is in history) because his system is not "new word" in the maartial arts and it is also without serious phylosophical base or theory like JKD for example...

I think there were nobody amongst west martial artist except Tamerlan Kuzgov who made fundamental systems of martial arts.. I will be self-sure to call him greatest martial arts creator nowadays….it’s really great work… I'd just link to this: http://www.journalhome.com/martialbloger/69538/the-most-outstanding-thought-of-21-st-century-in-the-martial-arts.html

Many western martial arts don't have a famous creator, just famous practitioners. But while many Japanese arts have some good records, there are plenty of them whose origins are mostly based in legend. And when you get to Chinese martial arts, things get even more hazy (wing chun was most likely not named after the first student of the system for instance). However I think in general there are just more Asian martial art styles, so that would probably account for the difference.

Some western guys:

The Gracies: BJJ

Euclydes Hatem: Lutra Livre

Multiple: Kajukenbo

Viktor Spiridonov + Vasili Oshchepkov: SAMBO

Edward William Barton-Wright: Baritsu

Imi Lichtenfeld: Krave Maga

Ed Parker: American Kempo

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Edward William Barton-Wright was coming to mind for me, too.

Also, Jim Arvanitis, who really pioneered an MMA movement before the UFCs came around.

If you look back into the history of Boxing, you can find names and feats of strength that go hand in hand with those of Asian cultures. You can also research Hellenistic Wrestling, Boxing, and Pankration, and read about some of the history of the ancient Olympiads.

Many western martial arts don't have a famous creator, just famous practitioners.

Some western guys:

The Gracies: BJJ

Euclydes Hatem: Lutra Livre

Multiple: Kajukenbo

Viktor Spiridonov + Vasili Oshchepkov: SAMBO

Edward William Barton-Wright: Baritsu

Imi Lichtenfeld: Krave Maga

Ed Parker: American Kempo