• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To preface this, I trained for almost 10 years in Goju Ryu and think that I have a decent grasp of stand up punching/kicking/gouging/elbowing/kneeing fighting. After a long martial arts hiatus, I starting training again in Kempo and TKD (no Goju in my current location). I noted that, beyond being somewhat older and less flexible, my stand up game is still pretty good.

I have always been fascinated by Aikido, so I decided to jump at the chance when I realized that an Aikido dojo exists only a few miles from my house. The instructor lived in Iwama, Japan, for many years as an uchideshi under Saito sensei.

I had been researching Aikido online and had almost talked myself out of even attending the free trial class after reading reports of no-touch throws, knocking people out with ki from across the room, and other mystical mumbo-jumbo that I don't have time for. Nevertheless, I went and was quite surprised.

The training is HARD. I don't want to use the word "brutal" to describe it, but that word sometimes comes to mind as I'm furiously tapping when my sensei is demonstrating nikyo or sankyo on me. When learning a new technique, we walk through it slowly a few times and then uke is instructed to attack at strength. It is a rare night that I don't come home with at least a bruise or two.

I spoke with my instructor about my misgivings regarding some things I had read about aikido. He said that, to him, Aikido is first and foremost a form of budo, and he believes in teaching it in a way that is both rigorous and street effective.

I must say that I wouldn't tell anyone to take aikido alone if they were purely looking for self defense. But since I have a strong background in other fighting styles, Aikido seems to me to be remarkably effective. I can imagine that if I were in a confrontation, I would undoubtedly use the striking skills that I picked up in goju but, if I were to notice my opponent unbalanced or open in any way, I could easily end the fight with a lock, with joint dislocation or worse as the result for my opponent.

Never in class is aikido presented as a way to avoid confrontation or a source of mystical powers. It is presented as a way of dislocating shoulders and breaking wrists should the need arise. This is not to say that we are taught to go over board and hurt the opponent more than necessary, but that the main focus of training is to come out of a confrontation on top. The attitude that I have seen is similar to what I've learned in other martial arts--avoid fighting if at all possible but if a confrontation is unavoidable, defend yourself.

For what it's worth, almost all of the students in my class have black belts in striking styles. I'm not sure why this is, but it means that everyone knows how to execute a proper attack as uke, and there is always a busted lip or bloody nose waiting for you if you screw up the technique.

I'm curious if my aikido school is unique in this. So much that I read online talks about the mystical aspect of the art, and how aikido should be used to protect the attacker, etc...... Since I haven't trained in any other aikido dojos, I wonder if this one is different from the mainstream, or if the hocus-pocus schools just garner more attention.

"Mo ichi do!"--Morio Higaonna

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Aikido class that I have been attending doesn't preach the metaphysical stuff. However, some of the striking in the class is a bit lacking. It is as if the strikes are viewed as the "prelude to the technique," and thats it. I think that applying the techniques at varying speeds and intensities are the best ways to learn how they work under pressure.

It sounds like you have a good school there. Enjoy your time with it.

• 4 weeks later...
Since you have trained in goju-ryu, I think you can appreciate aikido more.

Indeed. If I hadn't studied a striking style, I don't think I would get much out of Aikido.

"Mo ichi do!"--Morio Higaonna

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed. If I hadn't studied a striking style, I don't think I would get much out of Aikido.

Interesting.

In my experience, one of the best things that I have learned from Aikido, is tai sabaki (the ability to turn swiftly out of the way of danger).

There are two things that immediately spring to mind when I think about what I learn in Aikido.

1. On one occasion when I was in Kick Boxing, one of the students went to punch me. Without thinking I moved out of the way, by turning around in tai sabaki. The student told me that I was cheating. I did not think that because I had moved out of the way, that it was not an option, that in fact I should have blocked the blow from the punch. I guess it is what a martial artist has experience with.

2. My understanding of the human body and how to move the attacker, is greatly enhanced. In my tae kwon do class, my instructor (very nice person) will frequently tell me to be slow with my techniques for self defence because it is very noticeable the difference between my knowledge and the other students. I guess the self defence I learn in tae kwon do is more forceful.

I find that Aikido is a very useful martial art and that there are many lessons to learn.

On one occasion when I was in Kick Boxing, one of the students went to punch me. Without thinking I moved out of the way, by turning around in tai sabaki. The student told me that I was cheating.

FAIR: Term for the techniques used by the loser.

Heh. For us, we'd be more inclined to call foul on a BLOCK. But in your case, no, I see no reason why you couldn't point and jeer, something about not seeing the point in standing around being used as sa punching bag.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

FAIR: Term for the techniques used by the loser.

HA! LOL!

:lol:

I really like that definition! I'm gonna use that from now on.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I have had four aikido instructors, and none of them matched up to my Aikido Teacher in Japan. The other three were lacking in showing me the pain of the art. My Teacher in Japan was the better. I find myself showing my teachers now stuff my teacher in Japan showed me, stuff that they have never even seen before.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Sounds like this is a good Aikido class. From what little I've read and been told, the style softened as it aged and developed.

I have an alternate definition.

Fair: Anything I do during the course fight that is needed to win.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine