• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Arm bar vs Family jewels

That's be the easist way to take a look and diagnose what's going on. Bear in mind too that the application of the arm bar is, while mechanically the same, technically different from rolling on the ground in bjj than from jjj from more trad takedowns.

I too went thru this type of transition from my core art when movinging into the ground game. I'm still guessing it's a distancing issue, but the video will be a bit more conclusive I would think.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well turns out my digi cam doesn't actually make videos, but tallgeese i think you're right.

Everyone in my dojo is JJJ trained, and the technique works flawless when following a judo throw, or if I have to apply it on the way down after a failed JJ takedown. But rolling into stuff has been a problem of mine, and even the other dans are generally uncomfortable with the way some of the techniques apply to that.

We've started applying ground game to our work, when it isn't exactly natural to it. Maybe time to bring in a BJJ guy on one of our off nights.

:idea:

We've started applying ground game to our work, when it isn't exactly natural to it. Maybe time to bring in a BJJ guy on one of our off nights.

:idea:

That would probably be a good idea. BJJ guys tend to work the transitions quite a bit, and they may be able to help you clear up the details.

There is nothing wrong with asking for help, even outside of your own gym.

I fully agree bushido. Our sensei is very well liked by all the other schools in the neighborhood, and he's never had a problem asking them to send a student, or even providing them with dojo time when one of them had a major water leak issue.

I spoke to another dan about it today after class, and he loved the idea. He said they've also been toying with the idea of bringing in a hojutsu teacher in from the local Isshin-ryu dojo, considering we haven't had an instructor for that in near 2 years.