• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Arm bar vs Family jewels

ok, this may sound ridiculous, but I always have trained while wearing a cup. About a month back I didn't bring one to the dojo with me, and was fine for the most part. Yet not having on a cup made it impossible for me to sink an arm bar, without hurting my... err family jewels.

I kind of put it out of my mind, but this past tuesday I stuck around the dojo after my shower, and was demonstrating ways to roll into an arm bar from being on top and having someone's back, instead of going for a choke.

Same result. So one of the other dans came over and let me apply it a few times, while trying to adjust the position of his elbow, but I couldn't find a way to sink it without serious pinching.

Anyone else have this issue?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you're doing an armbar properly it should not be resting on your family jewels. Rather, the elbow should be slightly above that area.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree with ps1. Chances are you might not be tight enough on the movement, I could be wrong it's hard to tell without seeing.

Even with your opponents elbow higher up, you may still run the risk of crushing your groin- your opponents arm is ideally off to the side as if you're tucking his wrist under your armpit- then again, if you're caught in your situation, theres a reason why you have 2 of most organs....

Reminds me of a story of a russian judoka. Russians are notorious for refusing to tap, mainly because they get paid based on how well they perform at the tournaments. So, say for instance you do really well at a big tourny or another, you may get an extra couple thousand dollars a year as a result (since you are, in russia, a professional athlete/judoka). My friend tells me a story of a russian judoka who got his opponent in an armbar that rested right against his testes- and he decided that winning a better yearly salary for his family was more important. He squeezed and arched, and he testicle had to be removed after he had crushed it.

On a side note, just wear a pair of underarmor or other kind of compression shorts.

I wonder about that story, honestly... Maybe it was dead on his you-know-what, I don't know, but it doesn't take THAT much pressure to pop an arm, let alone make someone tap. Your junk should be okay, though maybe temorarily hurt.

Increase work capacity over broad time and modal domains. Intensity is key.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

-Sun Tzu

thanks for the responses guys. I do regularly put the arm, just above the elbow up against my inner thigh then exert the pressure.

However when I'm dealing with another dan with full resistance, many times I'll roll into the arm bar and wind up with it directly on my jewels (lol, sorry I can't think of any better term for that).

I've been studying JJJ for 13 years, and have been performing arm bars almost that entire time, yet I find when rolling into the arm bar from their back, or attempting to arm bar during a disarm, it winds up there all the time.

The other dans at my dojo have worked on it themselves and notcied the same thing. Also, this is never an issue if I slide into an arm bar from a standing position (like after a Judo or A-JJ thow). In those techniques I get the arm bar just the way I want it.

What I was really wondering is if anyone else had that topic come up in their dojo, and what the typical problem with my technique might be. Maybe I'll bring a camera to the dojo tomorrow and post a vid on here, so you guys can see where I'm going wrong.