• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Uncommon" Martial Arts

Savate-This is a French martial art that I believe involves lots of kicking. Sources vary on its origins, and range from the 1600s to the 1800s I think. I really don't know much about it, I was just amused that the French had their own martial arts.

Anyone know much else about it? My knowledge of martial arts beyond superficial facts is pretty much limited to Eastern styles.

Was created by mid class and low class french citizens who would fix their problems (by dueling, rarely to death) with a type of fighting that is inspired by fencing, used by the rich citizens who could afford swords.

It mainly used kicks at first, with some open handed striking. Though when a savate exponent got whooped by an english boxer, they rapidly added striking techniques. Later weapons were added for self-defense (knives, walking sticks [La Cane], even chairs). In france you can find schools that teaches "Traditional" savate, as well as the more popular sport savate boxing (which is quite similar to kick boxing or muay thai, but with more kicks). Also the french police force has devolopped the "Savate self-defense", which seems to be very effective in the streets.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard of this Indian MA called KALARIPPAYATTU? Here's a link, looks pretty trippie. http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/tnd/kalari/power.html#system

Saw a doc on discovery channel about it, though it was pronounced Kalariprayat. Used by the king's bodyguards and elite soldiers in old india. Movements are pretty different from eastern systems, as well as their weapons. They also used alot of pressure points...all I know.