• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Uncommon" Martial Arts

Pankration.

A ancient Greek martial art. That could be the basis of Kung Fu, which some evidence suggests. As is was created in 628 BC.

It is very simplar to modern day wrestling, with the basic rules of no eye gouging and biting. All else goes. It has highly developed kicking and punching techniques.

Train Well

Hey bud I do Pankration,sorry to have to tell you this but kung fu has no relation to this art.

Pankration is a greek martial arts that is true.It is the combination of Muay Thai kickboxing and submission wrestling.

Having muay thai involved, it's kicks are unique as we kick with shins instead of top of foot like other traditional asian arts do.

The techniques of Pankration: Jabs,right cross,hooks,upper cuts,knees to body or head from clinche,shin kicks to thigh,back of leg or head,foot sweeps,throws,reversals,arm bars,knees bars,ankle locks,elbow locks,wrist locks,many of the grappling techniques are done from guard,mount,side body,and reverse side body.Punching opponent on ground is also allowed.

These are only a few of the techniques involved in Pankration.

Pankration fighters wear no boxing gloves,no shin pads and no head gear only mouth guard and grappling gloves.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Savate-This is a French martial art that I believe involves lots of kicking. Sources vary on its origins, and range from the 1600s to the 1800s I think. I really don't know much about it, I was just amused that the French had their own martial arts.

Anyone know much else about it? My knowledge of martial arts beyond superficial facts is pretty much limited to Eastern styles.

I've heard of it.Savate is similar to Pankration and shooto fighting.Unlike the others Savate throws strikes to blur and confuse opponent instead of actual punches,but they do kicks of kickboxing and will shoot in on opponent to take down and wrestle to submittion just like in Pankration and shooto.

I have from two sources that there is a Lion style among the animal styles of Chinese kungfu, separate from Tiger or Panther/Leopard. (And no, I don't mean Lion Dancing) I have been searching for info on it for a couple years without much success, so it must be pretty rare. Some sifus have told me they never heard of it, while others said it used to exist but it is extinct or nearly so. The one person I saw who performed some forms showed it as being similar to Tiger in hand movements, but stances were from a very low position, and using a peculiar kind of kneeling stance and kneeling/walking advances on the opponent...any posts on this are appreciated!

• 11 months later...
Systema, AKA Russian Martial Art. I think its really slow and incredibly boring, but the masters do some pretty cool things.

https://www.russianmartialart.com

Why boring? Because they don't have any cool moves?

If you want to know why they train slowly, go to

http://www.systemauk.com/art1.htm.

As hard as it may be for you to believe, Systema really is one of the most realistic arts out there.

I recently read in the UK edition of Black Belt magazine about a stick fighting art from the Canary Islands. I can't remember what it was called, though. Sorry.

Here's another rare martial art = any art that someone hasn't bashed or said that they thought it wasn't effective... I bet there aren't many arts out there that someone hasn't talked about negatively. :(

Whilst we're on the subject of unusual MA's, does anyone know anything at all about African martial arts? Thanks.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

An Irish MA called Comhraiceoir Bata (Irish Stick fighting). This got started during the faction fighting when the bare knuckle boxing craze got very popular. Practictioners are called "Students O'The Stick" and some of the stances and techniques are very similar to escrima.

Sli Beatha, an old celtic art that focuses on offensive and defensive blocks, parries, traps, strikes, takedowns, joint locks/submissions, chokes and modern weapons training. There is a major focus on the mental and spiritual aspects of this style and is very demanding. There are 33 Ceims, like degrees, and the students are called tuaths.

Here is a link: http://mmac.homestead.com/

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 1 month later...
I know a couple...

There is a Filipino MA called Dumog/Buno. Its a grappling style:

Dumog is a general term used to describe the Filipino art of wrestling and grappling. There are two main forms of dumog. Agaw patid Buno, is the more commonly known form of dumog. It consists of standup grappling and wrestling, utilising off-balancing techniques, throws, and neck turning to force an opponent to the ground. Traditionally opponents would engage by holding a belt or encircling each other's waist and attempt to throw and unbalance each other. Victory was declared when the opponent's shoulders squarely touched the ground.

Musang Dumog is a ground fighting art, utilising locks, chokes and strikes to submit opponents on the ground. Both systems can be combined or learnt independently. The origins of both these styles is rather sketchy, however they are still relatively abundant in the northernmost islands of the Phillippines.

Another is a style called Panantukan...which is Filipino boxing, however they don't only use their firsts. They incorperate elbows, fists, forearms and i think head. They however don't only attack the normal targets of body and head. They also do something known as joint destruction, they attack joints and other areas to disable opponents.

Another Filipino art is called Yaw-Yan:

Yaw-Yan is a Filipino martial art developed by Grandmaster Napoleon Fernandez. The art resembles Muay Thai in a sense, but also utilises kicks which are found in Tae Kwon do. However, the origin is more often than not Filipino. The word Yaw-Yan was derived from the two last syllables of "Sayaw ng Kamatayan" meaning "Dance of Death". It uses roundhouse kicks which curve downwards (even from head level), which result in tremendous power when hip torque is applied. The punches include many punches found in western boxing, such as the uppercut, hook, swing and right cross, but also include back hands, bolo punches and corkscrew punches. It differs from the other empty-hand styles found in the Phillipines because it is often trained with gloves on, to allow full contact between sparring partners. Because of this, it doesn't employ the variety of limb destructions found in the other arts.

Another filipino art is kino-mutay

Kino-mutay is the Filipino art of biting, eye gouging and pinching. In itself, it is not a primary fighting style but employs techniques which can be readily grafted onto any other Filipino empty hands or weapons system (or any other martial art for that matter). There is little evidence that this art existed as a traditional fighting form and it is probable that its development is quite recent.

Another filipino style is called Kuntaw

Kuntaw is one of the oldest fighting systems in the Philippines. It is reportedly from the Sulu archipelago but has since worked its way North to other islands. It is a fighting system that utilises all the natural weapons of the body, such as hands, elbows, knees and feet. The hands are used for parrying, striking and grappling while the legs are used for lowline kicks and off-balancing sweeps and takedowns. The techniques all focus on evading and redirecting the energy of attacks, a common principle in many Chinese styles (which may have influenced Kuntaw somewhat). It must be noted that it is not strictly and empty hand system, and like in many Filipino martial arts, Kuntaw also utilises weaponry that can be substituted for any empty hand techniques it employs. Although this art was traditionally taught very secretly, today it is taught publicly throughout the Philippines and the rest of the world.

Hey did I mention I'm Filipino!

:karate:

I recently started studying Kali Jukune Do. Its a very complete FMA which incoporate Kali, Mano y Mano, Buno, Sippan-Sunotakan, Eskrima, Jujitsu and Aikido. We study techniques, forms, snad full contact sparring. This art was passed down the Manaois family line and taught and structered here by Grandmaster Conrad Manaois

aefibird,

Stick fighting art from the Canary Islands. For a minute that conjured up images of the spanish police bitting up drunk tourists/hooligans with battons. But seriously do you have the name of this art? I have never heard about it before.

By the way did any one mention the Brazilian fighting art the Capoeira.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

aefibird,

Stick fighting art from the Canary Islands. For a minute that conjured up images of the spanish police bitting up drunk tourists/hooligans with battons. But seriously do you have the name of this art? I have never heard about it before.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Sorry, WCKM, I can't remember the name of it. It was just an article I read in UK Black Belt magazine. I threw the mag, so I can't go look it up for you. Sorry. It looked to be quite a good system actually, though you never can tell with some of the stuff that's in BB magazine - some of the stuff featured in there is utter tosh ('secret' fighting systems and the like).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!