• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Uncommon" Martial Arts

Has anyone heard of this Indian MA called KALARIPPAYATTU? Here's a link, looks pretty trippie. http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/tnd/kalari/power.html#system

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!

There's an old Finnish fighting art, called Kas-Pin. Tested in some wars during the last few centuries (especially the War of Krim and the Finland-USSR war during WW2). Very rarely heard of even in Finland. I only know of one website about it and it's only available in Finnish: http://personal.phpoint.net/sutemi/kaspin.html and on the same site: http://personal.phpoint.net/sutemi/kaspin_tietoa.htm

Kirves can you give a clue to what it says. It's hard to understand something if you can't read it.

Kirves can you give a clue to what it says. It's hard to understand something if you can't read it.

Yeah, I know.

The first page briefly explained (notice, this is NOT a literal translation, I just tell what the paragraph generally is about):

Kaspin began as a pure war art used for example in Krim War, Winter War, Continuation War (all these are historic wars for Finns). Due to advancements in war technology (firearms, modern technology, less hand-to-hand or knife-to-knife fighting) the focus has shifted to personal self defence. Basic idea is still the same as in war: not to fight (exchange of punches) but to end the conflict fast.

Everyone knows that the young are stronger and faster than the old. But as Aikido's Ueshiba has proven, superior technique can give even the old or weak guy an advantage and this is Kas-pin's goal.

Kaspin's history

The exact history of Kaspin is not known. Stories tell about masters from 16th and 17th century. During the generations, Kaspin has drawn some influences from eastern arts but is essentially a Finnish art.

Kaspin has been mostly developed in wars against Russia and in wars during Finland's era of being part of Russia. In Russia and all it's neighboring countries people have developed arts of fighting and techniques and theories have been exchanged during the centuries. In the 19th century some masters travelled to China and Tibet and among their journeys, also gathered information about the local arts. There are several known styles in Finland, of which different names are sometimes used. This page on Kas-pin describes the art as it is taught in the family of Valkonen. The current master teacher is Kaarlo Valkonen who has over 40 years of experience on the fighting arts.

Techniques of Kas-pin

A speciality of this style is the focus on "locking up" (= "immobilizing") the opponent. The techniques are done in a very relaxed manner with not much muscle tension. Several weapons are trained in kaspin, but the knife is the most favored. The finns never developed a fighting knife, but use a hunting/tool -knife called puukko. There are three known puukko-fighting styles in Finland, the northern style, the inland style and Lake Laatokka (Ladoga) style. Some gypsy (romani) families also teach some knife tactics.

Training

Kaspin is an art for everyone, even those with handicap. Techniques and training is modified for each individual so that the theory and principle will work for the person in question.

---

Then they start listing names of instructors, clubs and training schedules and rules.

Again, I remind you that I did not translate literally, I quickly scanned the text and wrote in my own words what I thought was the main point of the paragraph.

Here I'll handle the second link too now that I'm at this...

KAARLO VALKONEN (4. level) [don't ask me about their ranking system]

K.V. begun training 1957 by learning knife fighting from Otto Venäläinen. In 1959 K.V.'s father Hugo Valkonen begun to teach the family art called Kas-pin. K.V. was given the rank of an instructor (knife and self defence methods) in 1965. At this time Hugo's and Otto's training history combined exceeded 120 years.

K.V. begun training the finnish spear art in 1969. These methods are crude compared to some other arts as they were basically developed for fighting against a bear.

In 1980 K.V. met Eero Laukka, a master of the northern knife fighting style.

In 1990 K.V. met another martial artist, Timo Soini, a long time "legionaire" (The French Foreign Legion) who has also studied Jujutsu under German jujutsu-legend Vlado Schmidt.

In addition, K.V. has also familiarized himself with several more known eastern martial arts.

When studying the Finnish fighting arts, K.V. suggests one to look into history. Since the 16th century, Finland has been part of over 20 wars plus other conflicts. In these historical battles, when firearms and technology weren't yet the be-all-end-all, the Finns have performed quite well.

Edited by Kirves

Wow that's really cool. Thanks alot Kirves.

--Burmese Boxing--

It's home land of Burma, Burmese Boxing is a very aggressive style that is fought bare knuckle and similar to "old school" Muay Thai. In 1930 when Muay Thai was becoming civilized by adding gloves, rounds, time limits and taking out many techniques (head butts, slams, throws...) The Burmese boxers stuck to it's traditional roots and continued to fight bare knuckle to this day. Their techniques include, leg kicks, knees, elbows, head butts, slams, takedowns and eye jabs, all these techniques are legal in a Burmese Boxing match with the only illegal striking area being the groin. You are allowed to stomp, kick, punch your opponent when he is down, but if both shoulders are touching the ground/canvas then you can not hit him, also their is no ground grappling allowed.

Wu Gong Fu is a traditional style based on Tai Chi Chuan, Wu Shu, and Hungar. The style was introduced by Ming shon Lau, and his brother Wong Shing Lau.

Wu Gong Fu is an unorthodox style, where they believed that thier stlye was the most secret of the styles. Lost for hundereds of years they founded the style by training with a friend who was trained by a local master (cant remember name) but he was one of hungarians best fighters, as I was told.. Now this style is one of the most free form fighting styles ive everseen, It teaches you to learn what you are used to (besides the basics of striking). Once a student learns the basics, the student will then train on a stike and a strike defence that he or she likes. ex.. If you like to back hand, you would train on the offensive and defensive backhand strikes.(Hence the perfect punch) If someone swings with a right hook, duck sidestep and rise with a left snap backhand reverse into a right snap backhand and back with the left with a spining back hand if they remain standing... Now you may think thats the same thing you do at your dojo but do you? Most dojos teaches people technique. Wu Gong Fu teaches no technique thats your technique. No technique it teaches freedom to do what you wish, not to think what to do. People tell me all the time, if you dont think then you lose. I tell them to only react. There is always a place to strike and its up to the practitioneer to know, not feel, but to know where to strike.

This style was taught to me when I was 12 and Ive be training ever since,(now 27).

Its hard to explain but its easier to master. :karate:

More history on Wu Gong Fu can be found on the Internet, but I havent seen many.,

but if you have any questions email me and I'll try to answer them :argue:

Remember you train to have no technique, you train to be fluent, you train to strike without thinking or feeling. When its time to strike, it will strike all by itself...Bruce Lee and the teachers before him...

If you CAN'T FIGHT don't act like you can. You'll never know who you might run up against, and they might just beat you silly.....Sifu

Kouk Sun Do

http://www.sundo.org/

What the heck is it?

That Kouk Sun Do is nothing new,it's a martial arts mostly based on spirituality.It concentrates on mind,body and soul.Taking your mind further then one would usually find impossible.It involves alot of meditation.

If I am correct it teaches very little self-defense,of what self-defense it does teach is a bit of TKD.

Follows example of Taoist.

I myself have never done it,but I've heard of it.

Edited by MuayThai Fighter