• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Uncommon" Martial Arts

Taikudo

Taikudo is a Japanese style of karate, developed by Grand Master Hideo Kosone. After studying various Japanese martial arts including karate, judo and jujitsu, he incorporated points from each art to create Taikudo Karate.

Taikudo features its own set of kata, but is not kata heavy, requiring around 6 for shodan rank. Kata one is called Ten Ni No, but bears no relation to Funakoshi's Ten No.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyson dind't stand a chance against Lewis either, but he's still my fav boxer. :bdaybiggrin:

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Heh yep, featuring boxing and biting skills. :smile:

Bando : Includes striking, kicking, and grappling, with an emphasis on mimicing animal fighting methods.

Cuong Nhu : The Vietnamese art of Cuong Nhu integrates techniques from karate, vovinam, boxing, wing chun, judo, aikido, and tai chi.

Gatka : Gatka is the martial art of the Sikh warrior, and is famous for its efficiency with the shaster (sword) and lathi (staff).

Kajukenbo : Kajukenbo originated in post WWII Honolulu, combining techniques from Korean karate (Ka), Jujitsu (ju), Kenpo (ken), and Chinese boxing (bo)--kung fu.

Kyudo : Derived from samurai warfare, "Zen Archery" sharpens the mind and focuses the spirit.

Lua - Hawaiian Warrior Arts : Lua is the martial art of the Hawaiian warrior, and is known for fearsome bone breaking techniques.

Naginata : Weapon art of choice for samurai women, it survives today in a sport form.

ROSS : ROSS is a system of Russian martial arts unifying various traditional fistfighting and wrestling styles with imperial military training.

SAMBO/SOMBO : SAMBO, aka SOMBO, is a Russian style of wrestling popular in international competitions, as well as a combat art taught to the Soviet military.

Tukong Moosul : Tukong moosul is a martial art derived from South Korean military Special Forces training.

:smile:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Pankration.

A ancient Greek martial art. That could be the basis of Kung Fu, which some evidence suggests. As is was created in 628 BC.

It is very simplar to modern day wrestling, with the basic rules of no eye gouging and biting. All else goes. It has highly developed kicking and punching techniques.

Train Well

• 3 months later...

Mine .... well, the style I study is definitely not well known. It called Kwok Wu Chuen ..... a mix of WTF TKD and Shaolin Kung Fu. We do all the TKD belt ranks and Taeguk forms, but at red belt, we start learning Kung Fu forms, and weapon forms. From BB and up we learn one TKD form, one Kung Fu form, and one weapons form for each dan rank.

No offense to the Kung Fu people, but I like the TKD part better :D That's just me, though.

Laurie F

Yea, I guess it is. I'm only a green belt, so I won't learn the Kung fu for another year or so. I like the Korean arts, and my honey always liked Kung Fu, so we have the best of both worlds :D We do learn Chin Na for self defense (at every rank) also. I do like that. It's sort of Hapkido-ish (which I learned with TSD), so I enjoy that alot.

Thanks anyways X.

Laurie F

I thought I would start up this thread to shed some light on some "lesser known" martial arts that come from various countries from around the world.

It is amazing just how many "martial arts" there are out there.

If you have some info on an "uncommon" or "lost" martial art... post it here!

Here is one: (I came across this surfing just the other day)

Stav (a Nordic Martial Art)

http://www.einherjarve.org.uk/s_overview.htm

In English "stav" means stick. The art was developed or at least utilized by the vikings. There are very few people today that know this form. :)

Read a book!