• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Uncommon" Martial Arts

I thought I would start up this thread to shed some light on some "lesser known" martial arts that come from various countries from around the world.

It is amazing just how many "martial arts" there are out there.

If you have some info on an "uncommon" or "lost" martial art... post it here!

Here is one: (I came across this surfing just the other day)

Stav (a Nordic Martial Art)

http://www.einherjarve.org.uk/s_overview.htm

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a couple...

There is a Filipino MA called Dumog/Buno. Its a grappling style:

Dumog is a general term used to describe the Filipino art of wrestling and grappling. There are two main forms of dumog. Agaw patid Buno, is the more commonly known form of dumog. It consists of standup grappling and wrestling, utilising off-balancing techniques, throws, and neck turning to force an opponent to the ground. Traditionally opponents would engage by holding a belt or encircling each other's waist and attempt to throw and unbalance each other. Victory was declared when the opponent's shoulders squarely touched the ground.

Musang Dumog is a ground fighting art, utilising locks, chokes and strikes to submit opponents on the ground. Both systems can be combined or learnt independently. The origins of both these styles is rather sketchy, however they are still relatively abundant in the northernmost islands of the Phillippines.

Another is a style called Panantukan...which is Filipino boxing, however they don't only use their firsts. They incorperate elbows, fists, forearms and i think head. They however don't only attack the normal targets of body and head. They also do something known as joint destruction, they attack joints and other areas to disable opponents.

Another Filipino art is called Yaw-Yan:

Yaw-Yan is a Filipino martial art developed by Grandmaster Napoleon Fernandez. The art resembles Muay Thai in a sense, but also utilises kicks which are found in Tae Kwon do. However, the origin is more often than not Filipino. The word Yaw-Yan was derived from the two last syllables of "Sayaw ng Kamatayan" meaning "Dance of Death". It uses roundhouse kicks which curve downwards (even from head level), which result in tremendous power when hip torque is applied. The punches include many punches found in western boxing, such as the uppercut, hook, swing and right cross, but also include back hands, bolo punches and corkscrew punches. It differs from the other empty-hand styles found in the Phillipines because it is often trained with gloves on, to allow full contact between sparring partners. Because of this, it doesn't employ the variety of limb destructions found in the other arts.

Another filipino art is kino-mutay

Kino-mutay is the Filipino art of biting, eye gouging and pinching. In itself, it is not a primary fighting style but employs techniques which can be readily grafted onto any other Filipino empty hands or weapons system (or any other martial art for that matter). There is little evidence that this art existed as a traditional fighting form and it is probable that its development is quite recent.

Another filipino style is called Kuntaw

Kuntaw is one of the oldest fighting systems in the Philippines. It is reportedly from the Sulu archipelago but has since worked its way North to other islands. It is a fighting system that utilises all the natural weapons of the body, such as hands, elbows, knees and feet. The hands are used for parrying, striking and grappling while the legs are used for lowline kicks and off-balancing sweeps and takedowns. The techniques all focus on evading and redirecting the energy of attacks, a common principle in many Chinese styles (which may have influenced Kuntaw somewhat). It must be noted that it is not strictly and empty hand system, and like in many Filipino martial arts, Kuntaw also utilises weaponry that can be substituted for any empty hand techniques it employs. Although this art was traditionally taught very secretly, today it is taught publicly throughout the Philippines and the rest of the world.

Hey did I mention I'm Filipino!

:karate:

"Live free.

Die well..."

Saif Lieuk is a Hungarian fighting art created by the Ostrogoths. It is sort of like Muay Thai, except that opponents are tied to each other on a rope, which is short enough so that they can reach each other when it's fully extended, only about 3 ft. That said, the fights are viscious brawls in which the opponents go all out, charging and tearing into the enemy, often using the rope to tie them down or strangle them. Although it's more of a sport than anything, it's amazing to watch. Tyson wouldn't last half a second against some of these guys.

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

There's a Korean art called Farang Mu Sul I read about in Black Belt Mag (Aug issue). It doesn't say much on it, but it's a good article about low kicks.

Laurie S.

Green belt TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-07-02 23:04 ]

Laurie F

Tung Kung Kalan another Filipino art. Its three basic actions are backhand whipping, a heavy-palm slapping and swing kicking. It’s basic philosophy is to keep moving and distract opponents, hitting to impair as a set up to a finishing move.

The style I study is Goshin Jutsu Kyo Jujo. It was created in America by Grand Master Gerard Durant. He studied various styles of martial arts. Jujitsu, Aiki Jutsu, Aikido, and some other weapon arts.

Goshin is a major part of eastern pennsylvania. It I dont think has grown to big in other states however.

It is a very well rounded style and welcomes most new techniques. It has the traditional kata and the ranking system is different depending on the teacher. Each school owner can do what they want with the ranking style once they have their own school.

I hope some day that Goshin Jutsu Kyo Jujo gets recognized for the great art that it is. :wave:

I've got something unheard of: TKD that actually works!

Muksodo Tae Kyon, practiced exclusively by the Korean military. Viscious, powerful fighters, all of 'em. You don't want to mess with them, even sparring. Believe me, been there, done that :dead: :dead: :dead:

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P