• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Classical and Traditional Karate - Differences

Dobbersky

All

I have a question

We all talk about Traditional Karate and that Modern Karate like Sport Karate and Knockdown karate like Ashihara/Enshin and other styles, but this is not a new concept.

If we look at Tradtional Karate, when does this come into play - pre 1940's, 1940 to 1960 etc. And when does Modern Karate come into play Post 1950, 1960's 1970's etc.

My reasoning is that when did Traditional Karate become Traditional? Was it not concidered as Modern Karate by the then Classical Karateka?

How do we class Classical Karate? Is it anything pre 1930's or earlier or is it distinguish by its name ie Naha te, Shuri te Tomari Te or does it go even earlier?

I would love to see your views on this and also

What would you consider as

Classical Kata

Traditional Kata

Modern Kata

Thank you for your comments

Osu!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Classical - at best I can describe this as pre WWII when it was almost only in Japan.

Traditional - Emphasis on doing kata like they were originally intended, less flashy, like a dance, with meaning that is often hidden.

Modern - Kata needs to be almost self explanitory, litte or no hidden meaning. Often in modern karate katas are made up by Kyu Ranks and Lower ranking black belts.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com