• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fitness vs. Training

If you have a good amount of fitness you would be surprised what they could do. You take a well conditioned student and one that's in poor shape and train them both in the same things, you will see a dramatic difference.

Sure, but if I take a poorly conditioned couch potato with a year of training in proper form and structure, and throw them in the ring with an athlete with excellent cardio who runs 5 miles every day, the couch potato will slam the athlete into the ground on SHEER ENDURANCE ALONE. The athlete will gas out and be exhausted and the couch potato will still have endurance to spare.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a good amount of fitness you would be surprised what they could do. You take a well conditioned student and one that's in poor shape and train them both in the same things, you will see a dramatic difference.

Sure, but if I take a poorly conditioned couch potato with a year of training in proper form and structure, and throw them in the ring with an athlete with excellent cardio who runs 5 miles every day, the couch potato will slam the athlete into the ground on SHEER ENDURANCE ALONE. The athlete will gas out and be exhausted and the couch potato will still have endurance to spare.

Not quite sure where you mean to go with this, but if that athlete has comparable experience then my money goes on the athlete.

The question was between high skill and low fitness vs. low skill and high fitness. If the athlete has comparable experience then they are high skill and high fitness, and so can't be compared to the person who has low fitness; they have equal skill and the sum is different.

The point is that the person who is high skill and low fitness has, in my experience, always managed to have more actual endurance and usually stronger power generation than the person who has not developed skill in favor of developing physical conditioning. It's like comparing a compact car with 40 mpg to a huge truck that gets 5 mpg, and saying that "The truck will OBVIOUSLY go a lot farther; it holds five times as much fuel!"

If skill is comparable, the one with better conditioning is going to win. If skill is NOT comparable, then the skill will accomplish the same things that the fitness would have, plus add some tactical awareness and ability that the fit person could not develop by cardio and strength building alone.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia