• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I've got to agree with people who said you're getting a combo of both. Because fitness, and training go hand in hand. You're going to be about even in skill, and fitness. I'm sure there are plenty of exercise drills your instructor can put you through.

Also the other question becomes what are you training for? Are you training to be fit, or are you training to improve your skill, and fitness.

Both go hand in hand as mentioned before. :D

I do not think you can one without the other.. in order to truly be skilled, you have to be fit.. You will develop skill as you are increasing your fitness.

Agreed. All things considered though, I would place fitness above skill. Here's a scenario for you. My younger brother has always been big on fitness. He's a naturally gifted athlete that took up body building as a teenager. He's never been into martial arts but I've no doubt he could handle himself if he had to simply by virtue of his strength and athleticism. All that's changed now however. Several years ago he got into power lifting and bulked up to 6'5" and 300 lbs. He got really strong and could lift an incredible amount of weight. The downside was that he lost his agility. About a year ago he quit training and now he's just big and out of shape. He can't run out of his own shadow without getting winded. While he outweighs me 100 lbs. and he's 9 yrs. younger than me I'm in a lot better shape than he is. Perish the thought of ever having to fight my little brother but if it did happen I wouldn't need very much skill. All I need is just enough skill to stay out of his reach long enough for him to get tired before I move in for the kill.

I found this question quite interesting. And since it seemed that I was coming down on the opposite side of the argument, I discussed it with my Sensei to get his opinion.

He actually discussed the topic in his web TV show. He can be a bit abrasive as he tends to speak his mind, but in my 20+ years of training, he is probably the most knowledgeable martial artist I've ever met.

See his response here...

https://www.kissakikai.com/vidsmpl.php

Heh. I'm going to have to agree with your sensei here. Strength and power is fleeting, and in the end it will leave you. Furthermore, if you have skill, it will lessen your need for fitness. It is the imperfections in form that fatigue me and my students; if you have good form, your need for fitness will be minor as you will be using your strength very efficiently. If your form is poor, you will need herculean fitness to power your way through your own poor form and structure, and the advantage will be burned through to no real gain. Then one day you will get sick, or be tired, and you will have.. 20% fitness and 20% skill.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

In the words of the great Vince Lombardi: "Fatigue makes cowards of us all."

Skill is definitely important, but without fitness it's useless.

I agree. They are both important components to consider, especially for self-defense.