• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Red/Black Belt Test

Today I tested for my red/black belt (this is the rank right before black). I already have a black belt in a previous style. I was told afterward that I need more power, and that I messed up the end of the bassai form. The test was around 3.5 hours long, and consisted of basics, weapons, forms, sparring, self defense, and board breaks. I also had to create and perform a demonstration.

I would be interested to know peoples opinions and suggestions on how I can improve in the future.

A video of my demonstration (I'm the one in white)

A video of one of my sparring matches (I'm the one in the pony tail)

And one of my board breaks

Again any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not coming out of your style it's hard to be specific or understand what you're expected to do.

That being said, one thing I always like to see when I'm on a board is follow up control after a takedown. You do it once very nice by kicking the uke once he's down. I'd do more control stuff if you could. Not meaning to jump down with him into a ground fight or anything, but perform a shoulder pin, or an armbar from your standing position, wrist manip., something to make sure he can't get back up and start swinging again.

Just a thought. Nice work on the test.

One way to have power in technique is to land your stance before blocking, striking..., which you do. The other is using reverse power in your upper extremities. When doing a punch with your right hand, pull your left gaurd or block or strike that is already extended, the exact same time you extend your opposite side. This will make strikes/blocks faster and with more power.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Watching your form I would say more acceleration and definition on the techniques. Its not bad at all but just that little bit more would help a lot. I second tallgeese on the control after the takedown. Even if its just a simple wrist lock, it would be better than nothing.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

As far as the form goes, your technique is good. Now, you should work to make it faster. Speed brings power. This will make a good from, excellent. You know the techniques, now you need to make them pop.

The sparring looked fairly controlled between the two of you. One thing I would mention is not to head hunt for the sake of head hunting. Punches to the body are good, too. I would also try to put a bit more zip on the sparring techniques, too.

The board break techniques looked good, technically, too. Again, I would emphasize focusing on speed.

Thanks for the replies.

I have to do another demonstration for my black belt test in september, and I'm allowed to do the same one. My plan is to improve apon what I have and your advice will all be VERY helpful in this. Many of these things I had not considered.

Thanks again :D

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein