• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Discipline

Coming from the background of going through Marine Corps bootcamp, discipline in my school is found not so much in punishment, but in drills. I try to instill in my students that they can accomplish things that they don't think they can...a certain amount of push-ups when they don't think they can do another one...holding their side-kick out, even when it's three inches off the floor...basically letting them discover the "eye of the Tiger" that lives within all of us and learning how to bring it out when needed.

They don't like it while they are going through it, but afterwards they have that glow...the "Did you see what I did!" glow of extreme accomplishment. If they ever do tick me off, however, everyone's on the floor, on their backs, feet six inches off the floor until I see tears.

I have only had to do that once.... :D

Using no Way, AS Way...

Using no Limitation, AS Limitation

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen to the chatter in the locker room after class sometime. They really seem pumped up after a tough workout. Compare that to the relative quiet after an easier workout.

Lots of chatter after a tough workout, kind of quiet after an easier workout. Hmmmm.

Things like saying “Yes, Sir” or bowing etc. I would call etiquette and propriety. As for disciplinary measures; for corporal punishment we have pushups, cobra pushups, sit-ups, V-Sit, squat jumps, laps, ten count pushups (that’s going down in five increments with a ten second hold at each increment and then five, ten second, increments going up) and one of my personal favorites – sitting in seiza (kneeling stance) with arms outstretched while holding a boken perfectly still on your ridge-hands.

Other disciplinary measures include probation; this is where a student is allowed to come and train but there hours don’t count toward their next rank for whatever the probation length is. For example; if you are on probation for one month and you are on a novice or three month belt cycle your probation period will most likely cause you to miss your next rank until the next quarterly testing.

Suspension; this is where you are not allowed to even come to the Dojo for whatever the amount of time your suspension is. This too can mess up your next rank cycle.

Expulsion; in 25 years I have only ever had to expel two students and I used to teach in some VERY rough neighborhoods where discipline was often an issue. (Gang wanabes etc.)

As iron sharpens iron,

so one man sharpens another. (Prov. 27:17)