• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Discipline

How, if at all, does your school teach/enforce discipline to it's students.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't do a lot in teaching external disclipline. I tend to work mainly with adults so I operate under the assumption that you develop discipline by showing up to class continually and getting up off the mat.

As for enforcing it, again, most of my work is with adults so it become less of an issue.

Our school tends to teach discipline through the typical stringent ideas of many "traditional" schools, by standing feet together, hands at sides when instructors are talking, answering "yes sir/no sir," bowing to high ranks, and lining up by rank, etc.

Also, pushing yourself to work hard in basics, forms, etc., and not slacking, etc. Thats about it.

Everyone got fair warning when they started. Whenever things would go a bit goofy and chatter was getting too loud, I had a simple solution.

I would stand in the center of the room and say three, two. Nobody ever wanted me to get to one because it would always be followed with one hundred side kicks for the whole room.

I didn't take too many times till the person nearest to me would shut down the chatter quickly. After all, if they wanted to waste my time, I had something for them to do.

So my answer was as simple as 3, 2, 100 side kicks.

Everyone got fair warning when they started. Whenever things would go a bit goofy and chatter was getting too loud, I had a simple solution.

I would stand in the center of the room and say three, two. Nobody ever wanted me to get to one because it would always be followed with one hundred side kicks for the whole room.

I didn't take too many times till the person nearest to me would shut down the chatter quickly. After all, if they wanted to waste my time, I had something for them to do.

Wow thats harsh !! I like it!!! :brow:

Semper Fi , Dave

Wow thats harsh !! I like it!!! :brow:

I like to refer to things like this as an OTI...an Opportunity To Improve.... :brow:

My dojo sounds a lot like the way bushido_man96's is regarding discipline.

There's not much troubles, but if there's too much horsing around or whatever it'll be push ups after class.

Or if it's more than a few of us, hard exercises. Sensai doesn't get mad much, but when he does it's scary, and soreness next day will be a sure thing.

2nd kyu brown belt for karate. White belt for judo.

Nobody ever wanted me to get to one because it would always be followed with one hundred side kicks for the whole room.

Those people must have developed some solid side-kicks, I wish I got to do that aswell hehe.