• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to gain power for kata....

Aiyo6o4

Often students mis-understand the importance and Hike-Te and think that it exists in order to facilitate a rotation of the hips around the spine. It doesn't and anyway, from a bio mechanical structure we should not be training to generate power through rotation of the hips in this way. Its not correct.

Michi, are you suggesting separating (dividing?) Hike-Te from hip rotation, and by this I mean that Hike-Te would be more towards power generated from the arms and shoulders in motion, while the hip rotation lends power independently?

Hips and the uppermost torso would then be separate but in concert contributors to power.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone! Sorry for the extremely delayed response! It's been hectic at school, work and karate.

Thank you to everyone with their advice, I'm certain I will take your tips to the dojo. I'll also ask a sempai or sensei about on how I could improve on my power.

:karate:

-Aiyo

1st Kyu Shito Ryu

Apart from the makiwara training which has already been mentioned I'd like to say something that has not been said directly yet.

Also focus on your hara ( center of gravity / abs ). You're probably contracting it already without thinking about it but try to lower it. It will be harder on your legs but it will make your rotations more solid and make you contract torso muscles easier, specially upper-back that's what makes your punches solid.

S.K.I.

Learn, don't expect to be taught.

• 2 months later...