• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to gain power for kata....

Aiyo6o4

Hi everyone,

I don't get it! My sensei, senpais, and karate buds always say I have really good technique in my katas but I have no power... I do try really hard to show power but they say, "I see no power, it looks clean but weak"

:dead:

What can I do(through excercise) without slowing down my speed, without compromising my basics, but gain the power?

-Aiyo

1st Kyu Shito Ryu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak from a ton of experiance with kata, but even with other training modalities, intent is often the key to power development. It's often difference between good form and effective form.

Try utilizing mindset to set the tone for your trainig session. By establishing a fighting concept behind whatever you're developing not only another great tool, but also ingraining power behind whatever your doing.

Speed and mass are the main components of power. If you have good technique, that probably means you already can use the mass so working on speeding up your movements will help. Maybe working on actually hitting something would help. Probably not using a makiwara at this stage but if you are feeling yourself creating an impact on a pad your power may improve.

Its hard though without seeing you actually do it so it would probably be best if you asked you sensei and the senpais what to do to develop more power.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

A big breakthrough i had with getting power in kata(and techniques in general) was working on my breathing. I found that breathing out sharply on each technique puts that little bit of extra power into it.

I am not sure how big you are size wise, but holding 10 pound weights, wearing wrist weights, or I actauly fill milk jugs full of water. THEN do your katas. Practice with all the extra weight and then when you need to show them in front of people you do them without any weights.

Also depending on your style using your hips to propel your arms may be key. Ask an instructor or sempai if you need to use your hips more.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

Hi everyone,

I don't get it! My sensei, senpais, and karate buds always say I have really good technique in my katas but I have no power... I do try really hard to show power but they say, "I see no power, it looks clean but weak"

:dead:

What can I do(through excercise) without slowing down my speed, without compromising my basics, but gain the power?

I always defined power is a combination of the factors.

For example, let's say you're on a baseball card with stats. Your card has stats for speed, strength and form. Out of five you have a five in form, a three in speed and a two. If you combine them together you get the average. So your overall physical power is between three and four.

Add speed into the katas. Speed is equal to mass. So the faster you move, the harder it's going to hit those imaginary targets.

Add rooting into the katas. Make sure your feet are in the right position so that you can draw all your power from the ground.

Add snapping into the katas. Start the movement in the hips and bring the momentum through the upper body, into the shoulders, through the arms and then out the striking point (fist, fingers, elbow etc.). This will naturally add speed and strength to the katas.

Add attitude into the katas. If you put your heart and soul into doing it, you'll probably do it a lot better. Visualize the imaginary targets. You'll be a lot less likely to just go through the movements and then lack the power that you need.

As my high school's theatre director always said, "Practice like you are the worst; perform like you are the best."

As a side note, ask your instructors more questions about kata application. What imaginary targets are you supposed to be hitting? Is your footwork good? Things like that. If they tell you to 'add more power' it probably means you need to practice it correctly more often. If you're not sure what you're doing wrong that makes you lack power, ask the instructor. If they don't say anything except maybe repeat the phrase "add more power", you might need a better instructor.