• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for a new system...

Hello all.

I am a first Dan in Traditional Shorin-Ryu. I am moving shortly, and am considering training in a new style. My problem is this: I am not a huge fan of the striking aspects of our art, so I would be looking for something that is more of a locking and throwing school. However; in our system we train in 5 traditional weapons, and I would hate to give up all weapons training.

So, the question is: Is there a system that relies heavily on throws and locks, but still has weapon training as well?

Thanks for your input.

Brady

"You can't learn karate from a book. You gotta paint the fence."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aikido might give you part of what you're looking for. They are based around joint manip and circular movement and most schools I've seen spend time with the jo and sword at least. I've seen some that do bo as well.

You might also be able to find some success with GoJu. The more circular aspects of their game might be different enough to give you another outlook. Because of the softer focus on some of the defensive movements, I've often seen schools of this nature incorporate small circle joint work. Once leads into the other well. Being of the traditional karate family, they often do weapons work as well. Might be worth checking out.

I'd go with Tallgeese on this one. Aikido is right what you're looking for. Typically they cover knife, sword, staff and short staff. Some schools cover gun defense as well. Be careful which school you choose though. In my town there is an Aikido school called Aikido Kokikai. It's about 40% Aikido techniques and 40% philosophy class and 20% working out. It's to be understood because Aikido was developed around some philosophy but some schools can get excessive with it. Especially if that's not what you're looking for.

The Aikido club that I have been involved with has not done much weapons training as of yet. However, one of the higher up senseis did introduce us to some work with the bokken at a seminar. So, I think it might be a matter of coming across an instructor with the experience.

Kuk Sool Won might be worth looking into, as well. Its kind of a mix of striking, joint locking, and kicking, and also uses various weapons systems. If Aikido is not available, Kuk Sool might be one to check on.

That's a good idea too. The throws are very similar to Aikido, the kicks are similar to Tae Kwon Do, lots of pressure point hand strikes, and it mixes them all together a lot like Hapkido.

I'll step in with a different recommendation if you want to lock, throw and still do weapons training. Japanese Jujitsu, with more emphasis on standing grappling, locks and throws, and in the right programs, you'll still see weapons work. However, your not likely to see the traditional kobudo weapons. Knife, sword, staff and a few others are the most likely.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I'm really enjoying Ryu Te, its got quite a few joint locks and all the weapons you can handle, chizikunbo, tanbo, tonfa, nunchaku, kama, jo, bo, nunte bo, eku, sai, and manji sai(I actually think theres more but Im not sure, IM pretty new still) . If you can find a school where your going I'd suggest checking one out.

There is no teacher but the enemy.

Joint locks and weapons work fits into many traditional Japanese school's training regimes, however they are hard to find outside of Japan. Look for koryu in your area.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• 1 year later...