• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

UramawashiGeri pain

Aiyo6o4

Yes, I noticed that. I figured it might be planted foot position because I used to not pivot my feet properly when doing this kind of kick and I had similar pain. Of course it's just a guess going from what Aiyo6o4 has told us.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Perhaps. Without a doubt in my mind the chamber height is part of it. But I saw three planted foot pivot points in the video. When he did the first chamber his planted foot was horizontal to the target. When he brought it around and raised his chamber, his foot pivoted to a forty-five degree angle. When he connected the kick heel was pointing towards the target. That's what I have been doing since I had similar joint pains. I looked at my kick as three parts of one kick. This old guy moves ultra fast though so maybe to a lot of people it looks like one big pivot at the very end of the technique.

That's a nice breakdown, BB of C. Very well done. I have found that when learning a different kicking motion, it can be helpful to "pre-pivot" the supporting leg, prior to beginning the kick. This can help you get a feel of how things are lining up (both with the kicking leg, and the base leg knee and foot), and then as you put the kick together, you can run it all together.

i agree with both bushido and bb of c (excellent break-down by the way).

definitely break the kick down into separate parts-

line up with your target, pivot, raise your leg, extend your leg and tilt you body back, hook , and then plant. If necessary, stand near a wall to help support you.

When I was learning that kick, I was always told to begin as I would to perform a mae-geri (only pulling your knee high) and then rotate. If you try to do this slowly you will find it very hard to do without dropping your knee (when starting to rotate).

However, if you train like this, when going to full speed, you will feel a lot more solid and balanced. And that is what most people miss when doing this kick. That's why they are completly unbalanced if the partner blocks them.

Hope this helps. I just find it hard to describe body movements :)

S.K.I.

Learn, don't expect to be taught.