• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

school name

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Took a look at the system name, and what I wanted to convey. It's also helpful to take a look at what kind of facilty you'll be using and what the focus will be on.

As anb example:

For me, my group became Bujin Combat Solutins

Bujin out of respect to my primary system. Combat from the connotaion it brings and how well it represents what I wanted to focus on teaching. And solutions came up becase I work more along the lines of a consultant approach rather than a school atmosphere. It just had a better feel for what I was doing.

The first school I attended (Tang Soo Do) operated out of a church. Classes were held in the fellowship hall. The instructor had the dojang certified and called the school "Tri-Star Tang Soo Do." He was influenced by his religion when it came to naming his school.

Ed

The first school I attended (Tang Soo Do) operated out of a church. Classes were held in the fellowship hall. The instructor had the dojang certified and called the school "Tri-Star Tang Soo Do." He was influenced by his religion when it came to naming his school.

Was that school a part of the WTSDA? just out of curiosity

Tang Soo!

In Traditional Japanese Budo, its is often the case that a Dojo is given its name by the head (or very senior) instructor "Ryu-ha" to which it belongs.

Often these names are given when the Sensei has visited a group and has experienced the "feel" of the dojo and named it appropriately.

Typically, Japanese dojo names reflect the ideologies of "do" .

Fortitude

Self Improvement

Education

Spirit

Mind

Heart Etc

And usually the names awarded to the dojo are compounds of such principles.

A former fellow student from my Wado group, is now head of the New Zealand Wado-kai and his Dojo was named "Yoshin Wadokan".

It translates to "Hall of Cultivation of the Mind and Heart, through the Study of Peace and Harmony".

Alternatively you could create your Dojo name by prefixing the "style" of MA you will be teaching with the name of the town the Dojo will be in.

Job done :)

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk