• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One of the best

hawkey

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I liked the way they sized one another up, neither one jumping in rashly and falling into a trap. I also liked the leaning towards hand techniques, not the usual kicking-dominated match.

I do have a question about two kicks, though, between 4:10 and 4:25. I can swear there was a roundhouse connection "red" hitting "blue" in the side, just after 4:10. Then there was another kick, "blue" hitting "red," looking like it was a frontal connection, a few seconds before 4:25.

Did either of these count as points? The first I don't think so; the second was mixed in with a hand flurry, so I can't tell.

A good video. Thanks, Hawkey!

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Since I mentioned punches over kicks in the video in my posting, above, it makes me think of when my instructor's teacher was guest-teaching my class, and called out "no right leg" after watching the first round of the class free-sparring. It was a good call, to get people who use only their right leg to use their left; after all, it's not a decoration, it's a weapon as much as the right leg is.

I wonder what would happen if an instructor called out "no kicks"? It might be a shocker :o to some, as there are those who see their art as a "kicking art," despite all the hand techniques that are requirements.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Had my first instructor take a couple of nights when we sparred and take away someones favorite, or their best, techniques. I come from a hand dominant art, but for a stodgey puncher of a karateka, I kicked a lot and well for the class. So, I got up and "no kicks". Wasn't that bad until I was up against a guy with a good six or seven inches in height on me. That was no fun at all.

That was far, far better point sparring than I've seen in many a clip. No tilting away from your oponent and chasing them with flippy kicks. No backfists from ten feet back. Sure, a lot of things I didn't like from a practical stand point, but man! those guys had some speed. Hand speed and reaction speed body wise. Liked watching them square up and give little movements and the other guy would shift to counter and then they'd reset. Like they were thinking about it. Good stuff.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Both guys seemed very quick. Each time one would make a feinting motion, it really seemed to draw a reaction out of the other. They bounced a lot, too. Overall, it was fun to watch.

• 2 months later...

Nice video. Liked the fighting. It reminded me of lots of tournaments I've seen. On the plus side, they made their points nice and clear. On the other hand, I would have liked to see some more action.

I would have to go back and watch it again to be sure, but I think all the points scored were reverse punches. I don't want to watch it again just for that.

Does anyone know Riley Hawkins from Baltimore? He made a career winning tournaments like that back in the 70s. His reverse punch was fast and awsome.

Aghayev is one of the best WKF competitors in his weight class, however he is starting to get caught more often especially in his takedown attempts, he is becoming predictable and people are starting to see it. Aghayev is however starting to change things up and rely more on his ducking low for a deep reverse punch, when trying to catch the other player on the down beat.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.