• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Held up with a knife at your throat

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Alright then, nothing like jumping into the deep end of the pool.

First off, espically in reference to #1, be aware enough to not get here. This is particulary difficult becuae the bad guy has already pushed up up to a wall, hence limiting your mobility and providing couter pressure for a deep cut. This is bad.

Much better to stop this early when you can still move, even if it's just briefly before you hit the wall. Even better, give the dude what he wants and try to get him to leave. Still you asked, so we'll go from here.

After accepting that we're in less than optimal position to start a defense we now have to make another mental leap. That you're dead already. This is a big time negitive position and to have any hope of actually coming out of this, you have to give up all external worry about living. Your going to get cut, menatlly train to accept this then, keep fighting anyway. That's the big hurdle. Your goal now is to take this guy out, regardless of outcome, no worry past the next few seconds.

Now that you've started to mentally prepare (well before actual conflict, if you wait till then it's too late) we move to the physical aspects. First off, start talking, distract the knife holder anyway possible and get your hands up in a non threatening manner. This puts them clsoer to their target.

Now, check the knife arm and grab it. Lock on tight and don't let go. They to get both hands on it and pull away. Start sliding toward the elbow to effect an escape.

Groin knees are clutch here. Even if it's a woman. Thow them hard and with meaning as long as it takes to get a reaction. Keep the arm tight. Once you clear the elbow, tie up on the knife arm solid with an over or under wrap then use the free hand to rip some eyes. Immediatly tie back up on the knife arm.

If the attacker is wounded, and you can clear out safely, do so. Stop a knee as you go if you have to. If you can't disengage, continue to beat him while you maintain control of the knife until a chance comes to get him off his feet. Take it and run.

If you can access a weapon you're carrying, use it. Always escalte given the chance.

Now for number two.

This one's harder since you've probibly been ambushed. Gie him whatever he wants. If he's trying to get you to go soemwhere, statistics show you're probibly dead if you go with him.

All the mental aspects above are still valid. Same with distraction and hands up.

Now again, get that knife arm checked. Hold on to it with both hands and pull it away from the throat. Lots of people start picking feet up to kick and rake here, I like ot keep mine planted. Last thing you want is to end up rolling with this guy right now.

I then will try to sneak out the back door between the attackers arm and body most of the time. Keep hold of the knife. Elbow often if able and hit the groin if you can. Reach back and rake the eyes if you get the chance. If the poistion will allow for it, I try to stick his blade into him.

Coming out hte back door I will either continue to tie up the knife arm and strike with the idea of getting h im down or hurt him enough I feel I can make a get away.

Going to a weapon of your own here is also a very good idea. Again, if you can control theknife long enough to actually access it safetly. This is a skill that deserves proactice if you're carrying an offensive weapon around with you.

Pretty much I agree with Tallgeese. Both of those no matter how well trained you are you are either going to hurt yourself or die trying to get free.

I do knife training alot and rule of thumb is even a amateur is dangerous.

Now if the scenario in #1 was different say not pinned to the wall you have a better chance, you can gauge how far back you might need to shuffle and throw the attackers wieght off guard.

Scenario #2 I've trained that alot when I was in the army. Mainly, no matter how well you might know the technique to get out your still going to end up with a cut sorta speak. Plus, that kinda technique with the attacker is usually used as a ambush attack or instant guerialla kill. Hence the army training.

Whoa. That was an eye-opener. I've trained a lot of disarms for swords, knives, staff, sai and handgun. But all the knife disarms I've trained are either a deliberate head-on slash, a head-on stab, or a knife against the back. I never thought about close quarters on the trachea like that. It totally stumped me. I'm going to have to start doing research on this.

• 2 weeks later...

If you've gotten to that point you've pretty much lost. I'm sure that there are some really risky moves you could attempt to pull off, but it would be better to know how to avoid that position in the first place. If you can't well...that's the whole purpose of surprise attacks! I can sucker punch a martial artist- does that make me better than them? No, but being caught off guard and not able to prepare is going to be a headache for anyone.

there isn't anything you can do martially to prepare for being shot in the back, getting suddenly jumped on by five guys, etc, except to be aware of your surroundings. Like wise if you suddenly find a knife at your throat it is already pretty much over.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Yeah odds are long. But you've still got to train from that negitive to have any hope. If I think this guy is not going to be satisfied with just my car keys then it's best to have some sort of cohearent, prepared principles for this kind of thing.

Still dosn't make your chances good.

honestly, and not to sound brash, if I get into the position of image #1 I would be hoping an ambulance gets there really fast.

If I can get a moment of distraction, my instinct would probably be to go for a Osoto Gari http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/osotogari.htm

then try to drop down and arm bar the knife hand that I would hope hasn't accidently found its way into my kidney during the throw.

But god, if he was skilled enough to get me into that position to begin with, im probably in a whole world of trouble.