• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Superman's Planet is Racially Diverse"

joesteph

I see this as a forward cultural move, that Krypton, or "New Krypton," is being re-interpreted in the Superman comic book series as a racially diverse planet. The article is accessible at:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28543087/?gt1=43001

In sci-fi, planets are usually not only under one government, but the population is homogeneous. However, I remember a Star Trek episode that had a planet of two races, one with the face white on the left and black on the right, the other with black on the left and white on the right.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, in that particular eposide they beat us with a subtle stick about racisim. At the end, both individuals, the last of their race, decided it was better to try and kill one another off than salvage their homeworld.

A lack of sublte art aside, it was probibly a bold move for the time. And it's still a good message.

ST was ahead of it's time with issues like this on a sci-fi stage. Hence the eposide where the klingons and feds fight a vietnam like surrougate conflict on a more primitive world.

Some times the final product was less than awe inspiring, but no one else that I can think of was making statements like that at the time in the sci fi realm. Now, it's become the thing to do, albeit with more subtlety.

Comics tend to reflect society, as was stated in the artice. So it's a logical thing to happen as time progresses.Moving towards a more mixed society will enevitatly lead to this reflection in the pages of Marvel and DC. Maybe it is over due, but at least it's being shown. Here's hoping that they tell good stories as well as just show more politically correct represntations of things.