• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How Old Are The Martial Artists Here ?

How Old Are The Martial Artists Here ?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. How Old Are The Martial Artists Here ?

• 16 and Under
    • 17 to 21
    • 22 to 29
    • 30 to 39
    • 40 and above

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm too young to comprehend it, but I just don't get it. Except for headache's and after surgeries, I've never seen my father take Alieve and he's 52-years-old. I don't know if my 49-year-old instructor takes it for any joint pains but sometimes he talks about being inflexible due to age. Even that I find hard to believe because he caught me right in the forehead with his left foot last Saturday and I didn't even see him pivot his hip.

When your getting banged up on a regular basis and don't have time to take it easy to recover, or you've done damage to something in years past, it's a blessing.

Tallgeese, Aleve is a subcatigory of the "I'd die without it" food group which includes things like coffee and peanutbutter.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I don't do a lot of anti-inflammatories right now, but I just turned 31, so it may be coming soon.

The one time I do make sure to pop 4 ibuprofens if when I have my Saturday morning Aikido class. All the turning and rolling and swirling, coupled with working an all-night shift a few hours prior, tends to give me a bit of a headache.

Maybe I'm too young to comprehend it, but I just don't get it. Except for headache's and after surgeries, I've never seen my father take Alieve and he's 52-years-old. I don't know if my 49-year-old instructor takes it for any joint pains but sometimes he talks about being inflexible due to age. Even that I find hard to believe because he caught me right in the forehead with his left foot last Saturday and I didn't even see him pivot his hip.

Ok, I am about to hijack my own thread here and get OFF TOPIC, but the explanation to your inquiry is simple. Everyone's body reacts differently. Some middle aged folks don't have any aches and pains and some have a laundry list. I know people in their late 20's who have been training since they were little kids and never got a major injury. I've been training since my late 30's and have racked up a list.

It's common that the older one gets, the less flexible you become, so that's why it's even more important to stretch out before any type of exercise. I often tell the young people (even kids) that they should stretch out before class because they will regret it when they get older. They laugh at that --- they are young and it's not a priority of theirs. I hope I am still alive when they are my age so I can say "I told you so" :P :lol:

Also, taking a lot of anti-inflammatories isn't really good. I did that throughout my 20s and 30s and now messed up my stomach. If you have an existing condition like acid reflux, anti-inflammatories can aggravate that or cause it if you take too many. This I know from experience. So many times doctors tell me "oh take some anti-inflammatories" for a tendon pull & I'm thinking, "no can do" - - - now I wait until the pain is unbearable before I resort to taking them.

If you or anyone older doesn't have any joint problems, consider yourself very fortunate and continue to stretch out thoroughly before and after training. :)

I wish I was so fortunate.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Also, taking a lot of anti-inflammatories isn't really good. I did that throughout my 20s and 30s and now messed up my stomach. If you have an existing condition like acid reflux, anti-inflammatories can aggravate that or cause it if you take too many. This I know from experience. So many times doctors tell me "oh take some anti-inflammatories" for a tendon pull & I'm thinking, "no can do" - - - now I wait until the pain is unbearable before I resort to taking them.

I suffer from acid reflux and my doctor has me on prilosec. When I need a inflammatory he has me take and extra dose of prilosec to help control the acid. But I agree that Alieve is great and it is in it own category.

I suffer from acid reflux and my doctor has me on prilosec. When I need a inflammatory he has me take and extra dose of prilosec to help control the acid. But I agree that Alieve is great and it is in it own category.

I used to take Prevacid and am now on Nexium. I used to use Aleve because it worked better and lasted longer than Advil, but then I heard something about people with heart conditions should not take it and I got all paranoid and stopped. But I agree it is one of, if not THE best. :)

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert