• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do You Favor a Side When Sparring?

Do you favor a side when sparring?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor a side when sparring?

• Yes, I favor my left side.
    • Yes, I favor my right side.
    • I favor a side, but I'm working on balancing the two.
    • No, I wouldn't say that I favor a side.

Or, train the most time on the side that works best for you so that you can be the train and force the issue with that side. Just a thought.

It's a good thought, but for me, I want both side working!

If one trains the one side to become a force to be reckoned with and then that side becomes injuried. What now? Switch!

So, train all your weapons predomainatley out of that side so it's not just a kick they are worried about. You can still suprise out of a single side model.

10-4! I hear you! Mr. Wallace was just an example of kicking, I admit that, but I believe my intent was understood whether it's a kick or a punch/strike. While a single side model might work, but, will it work all the time, for me...my odds of success, imho, are increased by using both sides.

Either way, whatever works for that individual is what that individual should go to. I just don't subscribe to the single side model, that's just me.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although Mr. Bill Wallace favored his left side, not many could do anything about it. They knew which leg was going to kick them, but, there's nothing they could do about it...it wasn't if, it was when.

Mr. Wallace might be the exception to the rule...train both sides!

Even then, I'd still beat his left side until he switched, even if it was for just a split second, but I'd be ever vigilant against his kicks from his left side.

:)

Well, Wallace had some good motivation to kick from his left side only; his right knee was tore to hell, and I don't think he could kick from that side. So, he made his weakness his strength.

I do think that you can train both sides, while still having a favorite/dominant side. It just depends on what techniques you are working on. You may not throw a front leg side kick with both sides forward, but you might have a good right lead side kick, and a solid left rear front kick to rely on.