• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do You Favor a Side When Sparring?

Do you favor a side when sparring?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor a side when sparring?

• Yes, I favor my left side.
    • Yes, I favor my right side.
    • I favor a side, but I'm working on balancing the two.
    • No, I wouldn't say that I favor a side.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of us practice arts which are symmetrical, after all.

True, we all do. But.. if you have to fight out in the real world to defend yourself or a loved one, and if you are lucky enough to have a chance take a stance - your favorite side will come out quickly and there would be nothing you could do to change that. It's hard wired from your survival training in the dojo. Your body knows.

One - No, not all of us practice symmetrical arts. These include Capoeira, Kali, and probably some others; Boxing, Karate, Gungfu, TKD are not at all symmetrical no matter how much people talk about 'training both sides'.

Two, because I do practice a symmetrical art, if I do default to a side under stress, it will only be for a second; I cannot -not- switch sides and such. My 'on guard SD ready stance' is a 50/50 straight on position with my weight lightly shifting back and forth.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Some of us practice arts which are symmetrical, after all.

True, we all do. But.. if you have to fight out in the real world to defend yourself or a loved one, and if you are lucky enough to have a chance take a stance - your favorite side will come out quickly and there would be nothing you could do to change that. It's hard wired from your survival training in the dojo. Your body knows.

One - No, not all of us practice symmetrical arts. These include Capoeira, Kali, and probably some others; Boxing, Karate, Gungfu, TKD are not at all symmetrical no matter how much people talk about 'training both sides'.

Two, because I do practice a symmetrical art, if I do default to a side under stress, it will only be for a second; I cannot -not- switch sides and such. My 'on guard SD ready stance' is a 50/50 straight on position with my weight lightly shifting back and forth.

I understand what you are stating here, JusticeZero. But, is it likely that once self-defense mode kicks in, would your body move into position to do a technique with your dominant side first?

Not sure; it seems possible, but the point is exceedingly academic as it won't really be noticeable from there on.

If you can imagine a form of Boxing in which, with very few exceptions, every time you punch or move, you switch from 'regular' to 'southpaw' stance or back again, and wherein the boxer's 'bounce' likewise flips back and forth, you can see that a "dominant side" just isn't going to be a concept that's worthy of consideration. If surprised with a sucker punch, they might slip to the right more often than the left, but from there on, all bets are pretty much off.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Trying ducking and moving your head get in nice and close then twist your body and let loose with a right hand upper cut to the abs make sure you connect with your knuckles that should knock the wind out of him (you gotta be fast cause this is a 2 hit combo), so right hand upper cut (to the body) then he will bring his hands down to block body shots and that's when your left hook comes over the top and you connect with his face, tell me if that helps.

Not sure; it seems possible, but the point is exceedingly academic as it won't really be noticeable from there on.

If you can imagine a form of Boxing in which, with very few exceptions, every time you punch or move, you switch from 'regular' to 'southpaw' stance or back again, and wherein the boxer's 'bounce' likewise flips back and forth, you can see that a "dominant side" just isn't going to be a concept that's worthy of consideration. If surprised with a sucker punch, they might slip to the right more often than the left, but from there on, all bets are pretty much off.

I read you here. I'm vaguely familiar with the ginga, so I understand the circumstances of the movements you are discussing here, and when you state that your art is symmetrical. Thanks for the explanations here. :)

One of my most favorite things to do is to disrupt. When I find someone who likes to favor a particular side, I'll torment that side with everything at my disposal until that person switches to the other side, the unfavorable side, then it's time to close the deal. It works more often than it doesn't!

Beat the lead leg or the lead hand or anything over and over until they switch to their unfavorite side...then...whack away.

Therefore, train BOTH sides equally, this should be of normal training in any martial arts, imho. Sometimes, instructors don't make the students train both sides for whatever reason(s) an instructor might have.

Either way, train both sides or be prepared to be run over by a train!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Or, train the most time on the side that works best for you so that you can be the train and force the issue with that side. Just a thought.

Although Mr. Bill Wallace favored his left side, not many could do anything about it. They knew which leg was going to kick them, but, there's nothing they could do about it...it wasn't if, it was when.

Mr. Wallace might be the exception to the rule...train both sides!

Even then, I'd still beat his left side until he switched, even if it was for just a split second, but I'd be ever vigilant against his kicks from his left side.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

So, train all your weapons predomainatley out of that side so it's not just a kick they are worried about. You can still suprise out of a single side model.