• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do You Favor a Side When Sparring?

Do you favor a side when sparring?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor a side when sparring?

• Yes, I favor my left side.
    • Yes, I favor my right side.
    • I favor a side, but I'm working on balancing the two.
    • No, I wouldn't say that I favor a side.

Good question.

I like the left front for a couple of reasons. First off, my left hand is better for finess movements such (or at least I've trained it to be so) as intercepting attacks and such. This brings up the second point of keeping my power handback to capatalize on hip torque and impact with it. Since the right has better power potental, it's better off for me to grab with the left and hit with the right, optimally of course.

Most attacks with lead appendages will be weaker in delevery due to the limited hip rotatin used. So I won't usually let my good hand's power suffer due to positioning. Same with kicks, I"ll harass with he lead foot,but will use the right ot bring power with. This works out well since I'm kind of coordianted that way.

Lastly, if I have to losean appendage early in fight due to injury,best that it's my weak hand, thus preserving the weapon that's likely to be most helpful for me over a wider range of things.

These are the things that are pertinate to me. Not a hard fasat rule for efficiency. I think everyone should train to what ever side they are most capable of using well and gravitate there. I don think this should be by experimentation and not just becasue x style does it that way. I also think that once you've gotten the idea, it's best to spend a majority of time working from there just to maximize training time. But that's just me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another question along the lines of this thread: if you do favor a certain side forward, is it because you want your power side back, or because you do a certain kick with the front leg, etc?

I try to kick with my front leg, sometimes defensively, but offensively to, and then work in the back leg. So, I tend to lead with my right.

Very good question Brian! For me, at this stage of my life, I want to protect my right knee as much as I can, although, situation warranted, I'll use my right leg if need be.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I favor my right but working on balancing. As a child I was ambidextrous. I used to start writing with my left and mid way through the page I was switch with to my right. I ultimately choose my right hand, but my left leg, is stronger, faster, and more flexible. Odd.

Blue Belt/Stripe in Shaolin Ch'uan Fa

5 Animals

Ju-Jitsu

"Be Hard as Earth, Fight like Fire, Move like the Wind, and Flow like Water"

• 1 month later...

Everybody has a favorite side. Everybody. Even if you use both sides a lot, when danger comes a-calling, when you are really pressed - you'll go to your favorite side every single time.

I wouldn't know about that; it might be stretching the definition of "favorite" a bit to think that just because you start your stepping on one side more often, that you'll stay put on it. Some of us practice arts which are symmetrical, after all.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I wouldn't know about that; it might be stretching the definition of "favorite" a bit to think that just because you start your stepping on one side more often, that you'll stay put on it. Some of us practice arts which are symmetrical, after all.

True, we all do. But, brother, trust me on this, if you have to fight, not in the dojo, but out in the real world to defend yourself or a loved one, and if you are lucky enough to have a chance take a stance - your favorite side will come out quickly and there would be nothing you could do to change that. It's hard wired from your survival training in the dojo. Your body knows.

I'd agree. Your body is going to put itself into a natural defensive posture almost through a startle or flinch response. It's not a bad thing, just something to be aware of and capatailze on.

I even train about 80% of the time off my natural stance side. Maybe more, and most of the time I spend training off the other side is out of negitive training situations and Ill usually find that my body will bring me back to a comfortable posture without consideration. So, that's where I spend most of my time training out of.

I'd agree. Your body is going to put itself into a natural defensive posture almost through a startle or flinch response. It's not a bad thing, just something to be aware of and capatailze on.

I think the SPEAR system works off of developing this kind of flinch response, and using it in defense. Can anyone clarify this for me?

You are correct. The SPEAR that is Blauer's big claim to fame is based off the principle. It's the base around which his basic CT program is based. It's a solid program too. The movement is actually a great bridge to all sorts of whatever you like to do after inital contact.

It's highly useful and easy to teach. Really good for LE types and can be absorbedby just about anyone into combative arts. It's not like he created the idea, he just capatalized on it in the best manner I"ve seen. There are a couple of other programs out there that take it into account. I'd have to dig for a bit to find them.

Certainly worth checking out.