• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do You Favor a Side When Sparring?

Do you favor a side when sparring?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor a side when sparring?

• Yes, I favor my left side.
    • Yes, I favor my right side.
    • I favor a side, but I'm working on balancing the two.
    • No, I wouldn't say that I favor a side.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I favor my left forward, as I am right handed and prefer from the time I've spent boxing. I can fight from a south Paw stance but I use different techniques from that stance. Ultimately I'd like to be able to fight the same out of both stances. Right now I'm like tow different fighters in the different stances. I guess it can be confusing to my opponent. At any rate I'm working on it.

Always continue to train!

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

I only really favor a side when i'm kicking, if i want to kick i generally stand in a left stance unless i am doing a special kick my instructor taught me, i'm working on evening my kicks out though.

Currently a Blue Belt in AKKI Kenpo

I have favored my right side from the beginning. Injuries prompted me to develop my left side skills. My give away is my left stance usually telegraphs a spin technique. So, I am using my left side more for front stance kicks, punches etc...I am also working on developing right side spin manuvers.

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to favor my left 75/25. I can snap a back hand out pretty fast with my left hand. I am working on using my right more to keep my opponents off guard. I do fairly well there.

Before my right knee reached the state it's in now, I didn't favor anyside. For me, one side was as good as another. Now that my right knee is old and worn and has become a weather barometer, I favor my left side forward. Shhhhhhh...don't tell everyone, sheech!

:D :wink:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Here's another question along the lines of this thread: if you do favor a certain side forward, is it because you want your power side back, or because you do a certain kick with the front leg, etc?

I try to kick with my front leg, sometimes defensively, but offensively to, and then work in the back leg. So, I tend to lead with my right.