• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do You Favor a Side When Sparring?

Do you favor a side when sparring?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor a side when sparring?

• Yes, I favor my left side.
    • Yes, I favor my right side.
    • I favor a side, but I'm working on balancing the two.
    • No, I wouldn't say that I favor a side.

I spar with beginners quite a lot now so to even up the odds and to get me to work for my techniques I go left forward and try to stay that way.

I thought about your posting, DWx, and remembered that my instructor encouraged higher belts to use techniques that they aren't as adept with when sparring with lower belts, using the opportunity to hone that skill.

I am a lower (orange) belt, but when I wanted to make that change to 50-50, I worked at it sparring against white belts and other orange belts. Now, I have no problem against the upper belts, and like to switch and switch again.

I guess that, in a real-life situation, you could have your favored side injured almost immediately, and need to use your lesser-favored side for self-defense.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to say if I really do favor side. I will fight with either side forward but the only limitation I have is I have a bad left shoulder but dont try to let the other guy know bout it.

I tend to do different attacks depending on which side is my lead.

For example, the side-kick, I only do that if my right leg is the lead leg.

Does this tend to tip off people that you spar frequently? Does it become predictable at times, or are you able to work around it?

I tend to do different attacks depending on which side is my lead.

For example, the side-kick, I only do that if my right leg is the lead leg.

Does this tend to tip off people that you spar frequently? Does it become predictable at times, or are you able to work around it?

It actually does make me a bit more predictable for the people I constantly sparr with, but I still have a very unorthodoxed style in general, so it's hard to figure out what I am about to do next.

I'm about 75% lefty now.

When I started out, I pretty much all right, but have switched. Kinda quick, over just the few monthes really. Didn't try to switch,, it just started to feel more and more natural.

Glad as I'm finally balancing out, i.e., becoming stronger on left side as right, so as not so lopsided.

Just hope I don't go way to much to the left now...

2nd kyu brown belt for karate. White belt for judo.

I generally favor my right because 95% of the people at my dojang and the surrounding dojangs that are members of the same organization spar with the left side forward. Sparring right forward therefor throws some of my opponent off. I spar comfortably from both sides however.

I do know WHY they all spar left side forward though.... When we work kicks or sparring techniques, the instructor calls "step back fighting stance" and all of the students are meant to step back into a left fighting stance. (after doing techniques on the left then the students will switch and do right, so they do practice both sides equally). When sparring, the call is ALSO "step back fighting stance" and so all of the students naturally step back with their right foot into the left fighting stance.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• 4 weeks later...

I like my left. Then I can come in with a Right Gyakazuki. Left side is more comfortable for me. Funny though I am right handed.

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -