• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrestling for Fighting review

So I finally got done not only reading Randy Couture's "Wrestling for Fighting" but also got time to spend some dime disecting it at bit and thought I'd post a short review here.

The book itself is divided into sections devoted to freestyle wresting movments (attacking the legs), Greco (upper body) and finally, integrating the afore mentioned aspects into the overall fight game.

First off, it's a well put together book. There are two photo series for each movement described (sometimes three) so you have an excellent over all picture of what it is your working through. Also, both parties in the photo series are wearing different colors, making it much easier to distinguish exactly what's going on. This has become popular in jj text of late, and I think it's a good idea. All the photos are well done and clear.

All the photo series are done well, basics are stressed at it should give someone just adding wrestling to their game a great idea of what they need to be doing. If you've wrestled before but haven't tried to put it together with your fight plan, it's also a good book.

Basics are stressed thru all sections and material is gone over multiple times. This is, again, a great idea for people who haven't wrestled before.

The actual fighting section is good with a good integration that you would expect from a product coming out of Couture's camp. HE also goes over a handful of submissions that are specific to his wrestling-centric game.

There are some issues I had. For one, I thought that the introductions for each section were a bit convoluted. Probibly more so if one hasn't wrestled before. I think a single over all intro at the begining would have been better, with a shorter overview just prior to each subsection. Minor point.

My biggest gripe, I would have liked to seen more drills revolving around themovments, particularly the integraition stuff. There are a few in the Greco section and I would have just liked to seen more methodology stuff for training. Maybe in vol. 2. Granted, alot of it would have been outside the scope and target audience of the book in all likelyhood.

Other than those minor points, I'd highly recomend the book for anyone involved in multi-faceted training that has little to no wrestling background. It's also be a good review for anyone already in the ground game. If you have an extensive wrestling background already, you could probibly spend your money better elsewhere, but even at at that there are some gems to be gleaned.

Overall, very well done.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had the book for a while. I picked this one, BJ Penn's book, and Fedor's book up at around the same times...Fedor's is the most well rounded, but Randy really breaks down the wrestling fundamentals well. Great buy.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...