• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Valuev Beats Holyfield Amidst Controversy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I admit I was pulling for Holyfield, but a video commentator at the first site said that it wasn't that Holyfield was fighting extraordinarily well, but that Valuev wasn't giving it his all.

I'm not surprised the fight is being reviewed, but I don't know how often judges' decisions are overturned.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I wonder if it will get overturned. I didn't get to see the fight, but it doesn't sound like Valuev does much to help his resume out. I wonder why he has refused to fight the Klitschko brothers?

I wonder if national pride is at stake, here? What Russian in the past ever held the heavyweight title? Haven't boxing promoters from other countries seen the Americans as "controlling" boxing? Dominating the heavier weight classes? Sure, there have been non-Americans who've held the title--on occasion--but it may be that Valuev is quietly encouraged to keep the title safely in the bosom of Mother Russia for as long as possible.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

The thing about that, though, is that there are two other titles out there that he isn't holding right now. If he really wants to legitimize himself, he would work toward unifying the titles.