• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Throw the first punch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb56dTPbcNs

Look at the first punch landed by the guy in the first part of this video and what he does immediately afterward. The best reason to not take the first punch is that you might get knocked silly and have your head stomped on. Save the fair fights for the ring or cage when there is a referee and doctor there for the safety of the fighters. If someone is breaking into your house or has decided that violence is necessary because you are black, white, Protestant, Hari Krishna, gay, a Democrat, or Federalist, you cannot assume they will stop attacking you because you admit defeat.

Absofreakinlutely right.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb56dTPbcNs

Look at the first punch landed by the guy in the first part of this video and what he does immediately afterward. The best reason to not take the first punch is that you might get knocked silly and have your head stomped on. Save the fair fights for the ring or cage when there is a referee and doctor there for the safety of the fighters. If someone is breaking into your house or has decided that violence is necessary because you are black, white, Protestant, Hari Krishna, gay, a Democrat, or Federalist, you cannot assume they will stop attacking you because you admit defeat.

Absofreakinlutely right.

Doublelytriplely ditto.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

To cite an example from my day to day work, I pre-emptively put anyone in hand cuffs that a) has been violent even prior to my arrival, b) or might become violent based on this state and the history on the call, or c) may have had or it has been suggested that he might have any sort of weapon.

Now, from time to time this idea of being cuffed for safety will push some people over the edge and a fight will be precipitated. That's okay with me. I picked the time and place for hostilities to begin. I'm mentally prepared and anticipating resistance. This keeps me from being suprised and starting from a negitive position.

The same is true when we talk about sigular combat. If the subject's history is violent, his body posture indicates he's prepping for a fight, and he makes preparatorymovements for combat; then it's best to pick the instant of aggression and start the fight from a mentally superior, if not physical position, of superiority.

• 4 months later...

Most street fights end with one guy pummeling the other guy. It's highly unlikely that you will square off with someone and start throwing jabs and sidekicks to gauge your opponent.

The average guy you get into a fight with doesn't have training. Or maybe at best he did a little of this or a little of that. When you start blasting him with non stop punches he won't know what to do.

https://www.bladesmartny.com - tactical knife fighting and street fighting self defense

Karate ni sente nashi is a fine maxim. I support it and I believe in it and I teach it and I practice it. However, I've no problem with throwing the first punch...kick...strike...kitchen sink....bathtub.

"He who hesitates, meditates horizontally"~Ed Parker

I will not hesitate in throwing the first punch if I believe it's necessarily warranted to do so!! After that, I'll deal with right or wrong: criminally or not, in a court of law.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

Your first move represents your style if you do aikido or this kinda MA you must w8 for the first strike

You Push Yourself Until You Think you've Reached Your Limit. First Your Body Wants To Stop, But Your Mind Keeps Pushing You. Then Your Mind Wants To Stop, But Your Spirit Keeps You Going. You Endure The Pain. You persevere. THIS IS OSU!!

Karate ni sente nashi is a fine maxim. I support it and I believe in it and I teach it and I practice it. However, I've no problem with throwing the first punch...kick...strike...kitchen sink....bathtub.

"He who hesitates, meditates horizontally"~Ed Parker

I will not hesitate in throwing the first punch if I believe it's necessarily warranted to do so!! After that, I'll deal with right or wrong: criminally or not, in a court of law.

Pre emptive striking is an excellent medium and works well with Karate's ethos, countering your opponents step to prepare to strike is still Karate ni sente nashi but at a different level

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Your first move represents your style if you do aikido or this kinda MA you must w8 for the first strike

I don't think you have to wait. Even in Aikido, if you have determined that you cannot avoid a confrontation, then there are ways to generate the energy needed to perform a technique prior to being punched at, kicked at, or grabbed.