• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Throw the first punch?

Why take a punch if you don't have to? Who cares if you think you're a tough guy who can "take a punch". What if that one punch happens to hit just the right spot to do some serious damage?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can take a punch, why does it matter if you get hit first?

I don't think that is something that one can assume every time. Not all people punch the same. Some are harder, and some softer. Some faster, some slower, and some will punch in different places. Harry Houdini thought he could take a punch, too.

It just isn't worth the risk to "take a shot," when one can eliminate a threat forthright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb56dTPbcNs

Look at the first punch landed by the guy in the first part of this video and what he does immediately afterward. The best reason to not take the first punch is that you might get knocked silly and have your head stomped on. Save the fair fights for the ring or cage when there is a referee and doctor there for the safety of the fighters. If someone is breaking into your house or has decided that violence is necessary because you are black, white, Protestant, Hari Krishna, gay, a Democrat, or Federalist, you cannot assume they will stop attacking you because you admit defeat.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Not to mention that you shouldn't assume that just because you don't appriciate a weapon in his hand does not mean that he does not have one. A hand full of sap or small knife will end your defensive preperations pretty fast.

People underestimate a small blade sometimes. Have you ever seen someone accidentally stick themselves with a utility knife? It's pretty bad.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Not to mention that you shouldn't assume that just because you don't appriciate a weapon in his hand does not mean that he does not have one. A hand full of sap or small knife will end your defensive preperations pretty fast.

This is important if someone is squaring up to you and you can't see their hands I would back up, best try to de-escalate. Has happened to me didn't know if the guy had a weapon but wasn't gonna get involved. The whole time I was wondering why this guys hands were still in his pockets.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.