• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New To Karate

Well I start my karate class on Saturday due to the nagging of everyone I work with that I would do well in it (they are brown, purple, and orange belts). I can go to 3 classes a week but have been told I can sneak into an extra class here and there. I am in the middle of college, and ever since I could walk I have been involved in sports (Hockey (15 yrs), Soccer (8 yrs), others) and in high school was Varsity Hockey and Track for all four years. I have great upper body strength and good flexibility, pick up things relatively easy. I am sort of obsessive compulsive so I expect that if I am taught a routine I will practice it every chance I get. How would you expect someone like myself to progress through the ranks?

..:: Maybe provide me a timeline as to how I should progress (since this will probably keep me working harder)::..

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It really depends per art, and then, to further complicate things, by school. With your athleticisim and mental attitute, you should do well. Be sure you don't over train and burn out. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Well, the ranking part anyway.

You'll probibly get some sort of handbook when you start. It should have an outline of such things. If not, ask. People love to talk about their school and such. The answers shouldn't be hard to find.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy it.

From the way you describe yourself it sounds like you were made for karate. You will do great. As for progressing through the ranks it's like tallgeese said it's a marathon not a sprint. It sounds like you'll pick up everything pretty easy but promotions will depend on your instructor.

Best of Luck

Semper Fi , Dave

I think some of the best advice I can give you is. Don't worry about it.

A white belt who knows all of the curriculum better than a black belt will ultimately have more respect from other students and teachers alike. A black belt can take anywhere from 1 year (unusual) to 8 years (extreme).

Again though the black belt who took 8 years tends to know his stuff a lot better than the guy who got his in 1, even though they are the same rank. Outside of your school - people will judge you on what you know, not your rank.

There is always more to learn. I believe it was Shoshine Nagime (Matsubayshi Ryu) who even at the age of 80 something (with 60 years of training behind him) said he still felt like he had more to learn.

Good luck though - from you said - you will excel greatly!

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

You should progress as your instructor sees fit. Whoever it is, you should be able to trust in when he sees that you are ready to progress. If you come to class and work hard every day that you are there, then you will not disappoint yourself, or anyone else.

Welcome to the Forums, and welcome to the Martial Arts! :karate:

Much of it depends on your school and style. Like you I started out with a fairly active athletic background. My experience has been that the head instructor likes to have groups of students progress together. While there have been some belts where I or another tested a little earlier than the group, this progress has worked itself out so we (at least those who stuck with it) are around the same level. I attribute this to many of us having active work and family lives, and the occasional missed test due to vacations or out of town engagements (I missed one of my tests because of a convention in Chicago, but did the make up test 3 weeks later). Another guy was at a medical convention and had to postpone his testing.

All in all, my group has progressed from white belt to brown belt (white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, green, brown, black) in 3.5 yrs. We will most likely test for our Black Belt in December 2009.

Like what was said above it depends on your school requirements and you. It is not a race it is a learning experiment that never stops, if that makes since. I use to feel that I need to keep up with my husband since we started together. I made it to every class in which he would make it about 2 weeks out of a month because of work he was tested for his black belt in a two years and three months after we joined and I am in my last stage and could be tested at any time for my shodan and it has been three years. what I am getting at is enjoy the experience do not worry about the belt. Your sensei will know when you are ready.

Welcome to the Forums and welcome to Martial Arts. :karate:

Hope you enjoyed your first class!

As others have said, progression depends upon the martial art studied, the particular school and the student themselves. As you are from a sporty/athletic background then you may find it easier to pick up techniques than someone who has no previous sporting history.

I think in many Karate and Tae Kwon Do schools the average from white to black belt is between 3 and 4 years, but there are plenty of exceptions to the rule and the best thing for you to do is to ask the instructor or friends who also train at that school. That way you will receive advice/help that is the most relevant to your particular situation and needs.

Good luck with your training! :-)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!