• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Top Contender Rib Guard and Focus Glove evaluation

tallgeese

So, I've got to work for a bit now with one of my Christmas gifts and am comfortable giving a final review of it.

I got to add a training rib protector (not a sparring model but one used for training striking to the body) and a set of focus gloves to my personal aresenal this year.

I hadn't used anything by the "Top Contender" label before, but had used some equivilant Ringside and Fairtex gear. Let me start by saying I t hink both of these items (regardless of the company that produces it) have a place on the shelf of any school that does strike training of any kind.

If you havent' utilized either before, the rib guard is a heavily padded toros wrap that allows you to work heavy shots to the body without fear of hurting you mitt holder. It's versitlie and when pair with a pair of focus mitts can give you almost unlimted combination work options.

The mitt gloves are streeamlined boxing gloves with a small focus mittt built into the palm. this lets you give your trainee a good attack without fear of catching him with the edge of the mitt. They are excellt "live" training tools. When paired, they are increadable.

The Top Contender Rib protector was comfortable as far as the armor itself goes. And it was well padded both in the front and around the sides. The "plates" of padding we thick enough that even the seams at the articulations didn't present a problem when being struck. I has some beefey dudes working me over in this thing, who have good movement as well, and it absorbed the impact really well.

On the down side, the straps were angle such that they do tend to rub at the neck after a few rounds and are really uncomfortable after a good solid time of being in the armor. Also, due to the havy bulk, it's a bit uncomfortable to be taken down in, but not dangerous.

There is more bulk for the level of protection you get in this model than in other more expensive numbers, however, the price is about half, making it easy to overlook this minor inconviance. If I recall, it comes in around the neighborhood of $50.00.

The exterior material was durable enough and the seams are done well. I think for most people who aren't training professionally at full contact levels, it should hold up really well for a long time. the buckels are the plastic thingies you see on everything these days and are no better or worse than you'll see elsewhere.

Over all, it's a big win. The price and padding far outweigh the discomfort from the straps and bulk. Well worth the purchase.

Next for the mit gloves. They had the same outer material as the vest and again, it seemed durable enough. There was adaquate padding for the job in the glove aspect and the mitt size was, again, adaquate.

There are better models out there, no doubt. However, these came in at 30.00 retail. Making them about 20 dollars cheaper than equitable ringside products.

The fit well enough on the hand and are stable. There is a small thumb pocket which keeps them oriented well enough. I used these pretty hard and while I could tell a slight performance difference from other brands, it wasn't enough to make me cringe.

I'm happy enough with both in my training arsenal. Espically for the price and I'd recommend both products. The vest gets high marks, the gloves slightly less high, but again, very adaquate. For the price, average people training can't go wrong.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would like to have a pair of the mitt/gloves for the mitt work I want to do in Hapkido. Perhaps thats the route I can take.

Thanks for the reviews. :)