• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GTA-3 Controversy

KickChick

Hmm, I am reminded of the super-realistic (supposedly) Microsoft flight simulator game that allows a person to fly into the WTC towers. Even the thought of that is enough to make me feel sick now!

Rap? Nah mate, it's all been downhill since the late 70's Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five! (what an old fart I'm becoming!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In the video game called Grand Theft Auto III, players enter a virtual world called Liberty City and assume the role of an escaped criminal who hijacks cars, guns down pedestrians, has sex with a prostitute and then earns extra points by killing her so he can take back his money."

This quote is misleading because its implying that the role of the game, as a escaped criminal is to hijack cars, gun down pedestrians, and have sex with prostitutes. A bunch of bullcrap because I have played this game and thats not the games objective. The objective of the game is to help this mobster. You and him were in the same patty-wagon being transported to another jail, and his goons hijacked the wagon to free him, therefore you also. But here's where the problem lies. The game is a free enviroment, where gameplay is not restircted to what the plot deals out, there are no levels or bosses. You don't have to be a criminal. You can be a vigilante by hijacking a police car and turning on the sirens. You hijack cars for transportation, or you can just walk to your goal. You can gun down pedestrians with a machine gun, or just use it to complete the objective. However there are consequences, to what you do in the game. If you hijack a car in front of a police officer, they will go after you. If you gun down pedestrians the police will go after you. And depending on the degree of destruction, cop cars, a cop helicopter with a sniper, a army tank, and the FBIs in black tinted cars will chase after you. Its great entertainment to create as much chaos you can, then trying to see how long you can run away from the authorities. I love the game and I hate siting down for along time to do anything, but this is worth the time.

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

Every generation has its scape goat for the bad, immoral and/or illegal things that their children do. When I was young it was the music that made kids go bad, not lack of parenting. Nobody ever stands up and takes reponsibility for the actions of their children, its too easy to blame someone or something else and then sue for them for big $'s.

I have listened to that "Evil Heavy Metal Music" my whole life and to date it has not caused me to kill, want to be killed, join a cult, become a drug addict or an alcoholic. My parents did not like the music, but they knew it was just music. They taught me the difference between right and wrong, fantasy and reality, good and evil, etc......... not society or my peer group.

In my opinion Video Games are no different than music. In the end parenting is the key. I will climb off this soap box now and if you had not guessed I oppose any form of censorship.

"Do not assume I share your prejudices"

I find that rap music makes me want to kill, but that's because I can't stand the stuff (just not my type of music), and my sister plays it at full volume all the time.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

Um...I'm a videogamer with a PS2, and I definently do not believe this game is bad for anyone. It's very well-made, with a realistic and complex city to drive around and do as you please in. The level of violence in the game depends on the gamer themselves. You *can* go on a killing spree, if you so wish, but there's no reason to and it'll hurt your position in the game more than help it.

It's a great game. It has a proper rating. No problem.

Shuriken: art of Japanese blade throwing

Shorin-ryu karate with influences from White Crane Kung Fu

15 years old

Hey Pat, you beat me to the rock-crock thing... I was about to add it, clicked for the next page, and there it was.

Anyway, P Diddy rap? C'mon. He's as Pop as Rice Bubbles.

Try Wu Tang, Public Enemy, Old Dirty B*stard, and the amazing Tricky. Although the Trickster will, if really pushed to categorize his music, tell you it's "blues".

If you want relentless nastiness that kids really shouldn't listen to, try the Insane Clown Posse.

Or what about Jack Kerouac - his beatnik recordings are proto-rap from the 50s and actually sound quite contempory nowdays. Or Gill Scott Heron.

He's black. He rapped. He was there long before Grandmaster Flash.

Nothing makes me want to smash and destroy and hate like the pop dance music that infests all night-clubs, bars, pubs and most cars today.

Sometimes it has even triggered such a response. (True-Really!)

Makes me long for Tricky's cathartic chaos.

"I'm premenstrual - I bleed cause I'm not a vegetable...

Is this making music or making money, I can't make my mind up,

You think you're safe cause you're signed up

Record contracts, break those backs,

Brag and boast, now look here

I control my destiny, I control my career...

In this industry full of vomit, my voodoo make 'em sick...

And if the radio shows throw low blows,

we do this - with or without the airplay!

...I don't rap, I don't sing - I'm an emotion player...

I can't meet the expectations of these radio stations,

'cause I'm living with different vibrations..."

Edited by Taikudo-ka

KarateForums.com - Sempai

BTW, for all those who seem to "hate rap", have you ever realized that rap is poetry. Poetry is meant to be read aloud. Peotry is meant to be listened to. Poetry has always traditionally been accompanied by music. Rap is poetry. Poetry is rap. Poetry is living, breathing, popular, and a voice of expression for many many people. Perhaps the English teaching establishment hasn't clicked to this yet, as they think poetry must be boring, stuffy, dull, old stuff written in psuedo-middle English and published in book form by Penguin, to be silently read and analyzed for meaning that was never there. That's because they don't, won't, and never will understand poetry.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

Yes, but I don't particularly like most poetry either.

I've never actually got angry over music, seems something of an over-reaction and a good way to get yourself a nice padded room. Then again I have sparred to kung fu fighting just for entertainment value.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

[color=red][/color]I think that it is all in how you are raised. I watched violent movies, heard music with profanity, and was told what was right and what was wrong. All the games and movies did to me was give me a great imagination and a sense of what is up in the world around me. I dont swear (to often), Don't in any way promote violence and I play all kinds of games and watch movies and shows with all of that in them. I was raised to know what is right and what is wrong. My family has never not let me own a game, music, or movie that has a bad rating since I was old enough to see them or play them. I guess they just raised me correctly. (I do see kids with parents who dont teach them anything and they are going to grow and not be to respectable.)

Also I dont want to forget that my martial arts has also shaped who I am. In a big way my parents and my martial arts have taught me a lot of things in my life and without those two things I do not honestly know where I would be.