• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Thoughts

So, would it be safe to say that training in Kata is what makes karate karate as opposed to kickboxing?

Are there deeper mental processes and values attached to Kata? . . .

Maybe we should put it to a vote?

You could put up poll questions, Michi. It's best if this poll has several to choose from, as this isn't really a Yes-No question. You're knowledgeable in the subject area, so you're a logical choice to think of what those questions would be.

:nod:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Joe, my post was somewhat rhetorical.

I am in no way qualified to pose such questions; mainly because I don't know the question/answer myself.

I have my thoughts, and glad to share them with you chaps, but when it comes to trying to measure the effectiveness of kata in its "empirical" sense, I would probably chose to bow out.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Actually Joe, my post was somewhat rhetorical. . . .

I have my thoughts, and glad to share them with you chaps, but when it comes to trying to measure the effectiveness of kata in its "empirical" sense, I would probably chose to bow out.

I understand, Michi. Sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot.

Scanning the thread so far, this looks like a subject that may have as many perspectives as there are people participating.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Scanning the thread so far, this looks like a subject that may have as many perspectives as there are people participating.

I think you have that right Joe, maybe its because many participating have grown up in a karate background, (and thus with the kata pedagogy), but just can't seem to understand its immediate purpose or value (me included).

It's a complex one to chew over, and maybe because in some ways Kata embodies the movement/thought processes required in order to facilitate the "shu-ha-ri" of things. I don't know, I am not there yet, but will continue to enjoy the journey.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Maybe we should put it to a vote? and then we will all know once and for all whether we are wasting our time doing it...or not :)

Although you mentioned that your thought here was rhetorical, I'd like to address it anyway. Calling it a waste of time won't necessarily be true, especially if it does hold value to you, and especially if you do enjoy doing it. As I mentioned earlier, I do enjoy doing forms. Its fun, and provides a challenge for me.

That said, although forms are fun, I don't think that they are the most efficient vehicle for propogating self-defense. With that said, I still will do them for the enjoyment and challenge of them.

It's a complex one to chew over, and maybe because in some ways Kata embodies the movement/thought processes required in order to facilitate the "shu-ha-ri" of things. I don't know, I am not there yet, but will continue to enjoy the journey.

...And that's what is important, isn't it? :)