• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather learn that from somebody who is an adult and can maybe shine some light maybe from experience... dont think many 12 year olds been robbed at gun point lately...

I guess that requirement rules out a lot of adults as well...

I will take my chances....

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

One advantage of learning a movement from a younger person is that they still have a natural sense of humility...unlike an adult who thinks they knows everything...a younger person (under 13) can probably relate to others with that same experience making the experience go smoother...IMO that is.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

IMO, a 13 year old child does not have the emotional or mental capacity to attain the rank of black belt if training in a traditional art. He simply cannot understand the technique, the bio mechanics, the history, the theory or anything else that comes with training for Black Belt (not to mention they're still growing so their technique will all change). I am a firm believer in not giving black belts out under 18 years old. My dojo, we go through a grueling 6 month daily black belt prep before we are considered for the grading. My first attempt (at months 5 I think), after 16+ hours of training a week I was told I wasn't allowed to grade that year. I ended up with an additional 12 months of grading prep and eventually did grade on my 18th birthday. Looking back now, that one rejection was probably the best thing that has ever happened to me in my life because it showed me more about my personality, my commitment and my strengths then any grading could have. Now I ask you this, can a 13 year old really have the mental ability to understand this? Don't get me wrong, I have met and trained with some very very serious and mature 13 and 14 year olds, but have they experienced enough in life to go forward to black belt? In my opinion, no.

On a few other points, I have occasionally instructed junior classes as a brown belt. I enjoy very much instructing classes. I am not horribly opposed to non-black belts teaching class as they may yet understand the technique enough to teach. It was also said earlier that what happens if a kid reaches brown and has to wait until hes an adult to grade, putting him the system for 8 years. Whats wrong with training for 8 years. I trained for 11 and a half before I graded for black. Some people I know trained longer and have just gotten or are soon to grade for black. Keep in mind that historically, you would be training every day for 20+ years one on one with a master before you became proficient in a martial art. This is something, I feel, that we have all lost touch with in society based on rushing though such a major thing as a black belt (which should rank among your top 10 accomplishments easily). but that's just my two cents.

One last ting, I saw this comment come up a few times. What is a McDojo or a McSensei?

Enjoy,

Kevin

Welcome to the forums kstinson! A McDojo is a term used by some to describe a martial arts school that "sells" rank much like a fast-food restaurant-fast and of questionable substance. Hence, a McSensei is someone who runs one of these schools.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I've not really had the experience of a young student getting to instruct senior people because of the nature of my school. It was originally designed as a non-profit way to get teens off of the street. As such, we have a pretty high drop-out rate. Me, as a green-belt, am the senior student. (I'm 23, I'm helping my sensei because he taught me when I was a young teenager. He's giving me free lessons, and I'm sempai for most of the students)

However, I can relate to you my experience in the Army.

When I was 19, only a year and a half into my service in the army, I was promoted to Sergeant. Suddenly, I was in charge of people who had been in service alot longer than I. I'm not really a strong leader personality, so I had a lot of trouble.

Now if you put a very young person in charge of a class of older people, I can't honestly see how I can take that person seriously. Even now, as a green belt, I wouldn't feel insecure about sparring a 13 year old black belt. I have, in fact, during an inter-school sparring match. The kid just couldn't hang. I wasn't much bigger than the kid either, he just didn't have the application of the art down. (which is why we don't promote minors to black belt)

Green Belt, Chito-Ryu

Level II, US Army Combatives

https://www.chito-ryukempo.com

Keep in mind that historically, you would be training every day for 20+ years one on one with a master before you became proficient in a martial art. This is something, I feel, that we have all lost touch with in society based on rushing though such a major thing as a black belt (which should rank among your top 10 accomplishments easily). but that's just my two cents.

Just out of curiosity, what do you base this research on? I have not seen it, other than in BJJ where it takes an average of 10 years to earn a black belt.

Welcome to the Forums, as well! :karate:

There should be an age requirement of some kind, I think that once some students hit 14-15, they are capable of teaching as they are generally more mature.

This would take one governing body to see this to fruition, imho!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!