• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should young black belts instruct the adult class

granitemiller

I think that the best test is to see the result. If the adults are still with you and actively participating and enjoying the class, I think you have succeeded.

But how do we test this BEFORE the adults leave lol?

You mentioned the adults may feel they will be shunned if they say they wish to have adult teachers. Perhaps an anonymous poll? Classic suggestion box style?

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking as someone who taught adults at the age of 14, I think that an age of 15 with the possibility of exceptions should be set. I spoke with many of the adults I taught and openly said that if any way they felt cheated by having a "kid" teach them I would go work out on my own, and everyone of them said they were more than happy to have my help. So you can't assume that kids = problems.

To be a black belt you have to be a teacher, to be a teacher you have to be able to attract and keep students while still teaching the curriculum. With that being said...why not just ask the adults?

This is a tought situation to put to people. I don't think people want to be dishonest, but for the most part, they want to be nice. As mentioned earlier, they may fear some kind of retribution, or worry about not being looked at as a nice person, or just upsetting the status quo.

Now, when you do have the person that will hold nothing back, and be completely honest, then they may be looked at as a jerk or something like that.

Of course, I may be wrong.

Personally I don't think anyone under 18 should teach a class. Rank usually just means that the person knows more about the style than the lower ranks. A younger black belt might not be mature enough to know how to teach a technique properly (especially if they had an instructor that didn't teach them properly - hence the thousands upon thousands of belt factory schools). If I was running a school, any instructor that's under 18 would be teaching because they're exceptionally powerful and show exceptional understanding of what they're teaching. And all my assistant instructors would take a test to see if they're good teachers. It would just be me watching them teach without saying anything unless they say something wrong.

I think you have to bring someone into teaching slowly, it takes a lot of time. But you can tell when they are "getting" it because of the buzz amongst the students when they know that person will be teaching, and also comments made to the head instructor about how they liked that person.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

I agree many people will be dishonest in order to be nice, I have seen this happen to adult teachers as well. A quick way to prevent this is to have your students work one night by themselves and have them ask for help when they need it.

If you watch who they go to, you can tell who is effectively teaching and more importantly if they refuse to ask the younger black belts you can get your answer without having to ask.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

I think you have to bring someone into teaching slowly, it takes a lot of time. But you can tell when they are "getting" it because of the buzz amongst the students when they know that person will be teaching, and also comments made to the head instructor about how they liked that person.

This is the approach that my dojo took with me. I started teaching kids classes when I was about 14 (I had been assisting for two years before that) and was observed closely by my Sensei. I hit a few bumps in the road, mostly due to the fact that when I was a kid my school was run in a bit of a more "old-school" way and I was seen as too strict at times for trying to recreate my own learning experience. However, after a while students and parents began raving about my abilities as an instructor and my Sensei and Grandmaster took notice. By the time I was 16 I was teaching adult classes sporadically and eventually I regularly taught one adult class every week, in fact while acting as the highest ranking instructor at the school on Sundays. I believe I'm the only student under 18 within the last 4 or 5 years to regularly teach adult classes at my dojo, and I view it as a huge honor. I think a set rule would be a mistake, because there are those of us out there that will surprise you. I know that sounds like I'm letting a bit of ego show right there, but there are certain things I know I do really well.

There are very few areas of my life where I have any right to talk about being good at something, but I've learned through my experiences in the martial arts both from my own epiphanies and some extremely flattering words form my Sensei and even our Grandmaster himself, as well as students from 6 to 60 years old, that I'm a very good teacher. As a result, I'm in college right now pursuing a teaching certification. I know I will teach for a living, most likely in public schools for a while until I open up a dojo. This is what I love to do; it is part of who I am.

So yes, I think certain black belts under 18 should be allowed to teach adults, if they have proven their abilities in the past and continue to do so once granted the honor and privilege of teaching adult classes.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist." -Grandmaster Nick Cerio

My question is should a young black belt (under 13 years old) be given the authority to teach the adult class (20 years old and up) on a consistent basis?

My answer is "no" and I also agree with others who feel that kids should not be allowed to achieve black belt under the age of 16 --- I even prefer 18 yrs. old.

I know someone who's 8 year old son just became a black belt and it's NOT even a "junior" black belt. In my opinion, this is just wrong.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I enjoyed Kempohand's post, and it shows that if done correctly, a young person can become an effective teacher. The approach of teaching the kids classes while you were 14, and then the adults on occasion when you hit 16 was a good idea. I think that most older adults will look at a 16 or an 18 year old differently than say a 13 or 14 year old, especially if the 16/18 year old is emotionally mature and has been working at instruction for quite some time.

As I stated, becoming a good instructor takes a lot of time and development.

8 years old - has to be a junior black belt. I mean, come on, can an 8 year old really meet black belt criteria?

The only thing I can guess is that he is in a belt school where you get a belt every other month just for showing up and the parents paying the belt test fees.