• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should young black belts instruct the adult class

granitemiller

I have no problems with junior bbs running warm ups, but that is as far as it should go. They should not be instructing adults, for the same reasons that Granitemiller stated, they don't know the same curriculum. I mean would you feel comfortable letting a junior high student run your company??

As far as schools awarding 2nd, 3rd dans etc to children I'm totally against it.

I think this just brings down the credibility of the school ( makes it look like a belt store ). :karate:

Semper Fi , Dave

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition, we have a policy that when a child enters the adult class (usually age 14/15 but depends on level of maturity and physical size), they will be re-tested according to the adult requirements, and be awarded the belt that they test at. Usually for us this means that a children's black belt will test out as an adult green.

Does any one else have a similar arrangement?

We do not have a setup like this. At times, I wonder if it would be better if we did. However, we don't have a different curriculum, or set of requirments for adults and children; its all the same forms, and the same one-step requirements for testing. Board breaking techniques are the same, but different boards are used ("kid" boards as opposed to adult boards; different size). So at our school, its all the same.

We use a -do suffex for juniors and a -jutsu suffex for the adult side of things. Makes it easier to keep it straight.

I kind of like this differentiation idea, using the do and jutsu suffixes. Its a different touch, but one that makes sense.

I don't think kids should be able to teach classes. But running warm ups is ok with me, they're kind of hard to mess up. And also some older adults have a tennancy of beliving that everyone under 21 or so are still too immature to have their opinions matter much. I know the ones at my high school did.

Currently a Blue Belt in AKKI Kenpo

It's ok for a junior to teach warm-ups, kata, drills, correct movements/stances, etc. But an entire class is something else. Besides the legal and emotional requirements already mentioned, there are also physical, and logical requirements to teaching. A child may not have the physical ability to demonstrate things adults need to practice like throws and lifts. Even if a short adult and a tall child are the same height, the adult typically has stronger muscles, bones, etc. Therefore a child either has not done the movements I need to learn or does them differently, so he can't teach me. Also, kids don't always think of things like holding back so you don't hurt your practice partner. I personally don't think anyone under 18 should hold a BB, but that's just my opinion.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

I agree with all of you.

I have a system where my Junior Blackbelt have a Blackbelt with a white stripe throught the centre, or for 2nd dan 2 white stripes through the centre. This reverts to an adult 1st Dan upon reaching 16 where they must 'spar' with the adults to gain the full black belt.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I agree with all of you.

I have a system where my Junior Blackbelt have a Blackbelt with a white stripe throught the centre, or for 2nd dan 2 white stripes through the centre. This reverts to an adult 1st Dan upon reaching 16 where they must 'spar' with the adults to gain the full black belt.

I like that idea.

If a black belt is not old enough to teach a adult class then they are not old enough to be a black belt. I know many will disagree, but it's how i feel.

The problem here is what do you do with a child that starts at 7 years old, and is now 13 years old (so six years in your system). Do you keep them at Brown belt until they reach a certain age (15/16?). If that is the case, then you will have someone in the system for 8 years before they get their black belt.

Or do you promote them to "children's black belt" but restrict their entitlements?

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com