• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should young black belts instruct the adult class

granitemiller

I agree with all of you.

I have a system where my Junior Blackbelt have a Blackbelt with a white stripe throught the centre, or for 2nd dan 2 white stripes through the centre. This reverts to an adult 1st Dan upon reaching 16 where they must 'spar' with the adults to gain the full black belt.

I like that idea.

So, is it all about sparring, then? Are there any different technical requirements other than sparring adults?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bushido_man96

The reason why I have stated Sparring as the criteria for a Junior blackbelt to get a Senior Blackbelt is that the style I teach is a knockdown style and the junior grades (under 16's) practice a controlled 'touch sparring' regime so they get introduced at 16 to 'controlled' 'adult' sparring (note this is NOT an excuse to beat them up - I do NOT allow any form of bullying in my Dojo) as`they get older they will then get slowly used to fighting in a full contact way

the technical aspects of the grades will all be the same just more demonstration of the control of Kime as an adult

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I think that here in the UK there may be legal restrictions on under 18 taking a class.

I know that my insurers do not cover anyone under the age of 18 (could even be 21 now I come to think of it).

So if under 18's are taking a class, they may not be covered insurance wise.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

If that is the case, then you will have someone in the system for 8 years before they get their black belt.

what's wrong with being in a system for 8 years before they get their black belt?

Nothing - I have no problem with it, especially if they do not qualify and it takes them more time. However, if a parent of a child who has been there prior to someone else (like an adult), and they see them come up from white and pass up their child, then there will be problems with that parent.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

I think that here in the UK there may be legal restrictions on under 18 taking a class.

I think they can instruct as long as there is a responsible adult in the room. Maybe that's not properly taking the class though...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Speaking as someone who taught adults at the age of 14, I think that an age of 15 with the possibility of exceptions should be set. I spoke with many of the adults I taught and openly said that if any way they felt cheated by having a "kid" teach them I would go work out on my own, and everyone of them said they were more than happy to have my help. So you can't assume that kids = problems.

On the other hand we had other "kids" teach...and...it was a nightmare. Katas were taught wrong, people became annoyed, and worst discipline became a thing of the past. You have to judge it case-by-case, but a limit at atleast 15 is a good place to start.

To be a black belt you have to be a teacher, to be a teacher you have to be able to attract and keep students while still teaching the curriculum. With that being said...why not just ask the adults?

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

To be a black belt you have to be a teacher, to be a teacher you have to be able to attract and keep students while still teaching the curriculum. With that being said...why not just ask the adults?

I like your thoughts on this, and you are right about being a teacher and being able to attract and maintain students. The person that drives people away should not be considered for black belt promotion, because I have seen that when they are promoted, they begin to drive other students out of the school, and eventually the senior instructor/owner has to ask that person to leave.

But as for asking the adults if they are okay or not with the young instructor, this becomes tricky because the adult may not give a straight answer for fear that they may be asked to leave and not come back.

I think that the best test is to see the result. If the adults are still with you and actively participating and enjoying the class, I think you have succeeded.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com