• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt test tonight!

Congratulations, how old is your son now?

He's 8. I know from reading the forums that there is some disagreement over kids this young earning a black belt, but I am amazed at how he has grown in maturity, work ethic, and confidence over the last 4 years.

We're not discussing that one anymore, SkullSplitter. We're starting a new topic, about how old/young to be a Grandmaster. :)

You son's profited from starting karate to deal with muscle issues, according to your OP, and look how far he's come. It's great!

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Although I have my thoughts on age and a black belt... If your son's muscle problems are getting better, if he is getting more mature, and he is happy with it - then I think everyone should worry less about rank and more about the effects karate has on people.

If you would have asked Gichin Funakoshi in 1890 what he thought about 8 year olds with a black belt he would have said "What difference does it make how he dresses?"

This idea is new and it has caused people to forget the important things you should be getting out of karate, those things more important than rank, those things your son has got. So be proud and keep him interested, as he ages he might feel it is dumb or hard or a waste, keep him in it and he will thank you ten fold later on in life.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

This idea is new and it has caused people to forget the important things you should be getting out of karate, those things more important than rank, those things your son has got. So be proud and keep him interested, as he ages he might feel it is dumb or hard or a waste, keep him in it and he will thank you ten fold later on in life.

Well said. :karate:

Congratulations to your son on his achievement - and on his black belt as well!!

IMO, the actual gaining of the 1st Dan is the lesser benefit compared to your son growing in maturity, developing physically and learning important life skills (how to follow instructions, the importance of practice, discipline, respect for leadership etc etc).

Regardless of people's personal thoughts on child black belts, this 8 year old has achieved something great through his 4 years of hard work and training and should be applauded for it, especially in a time when every day the media seems more and more determined to show outrageous stories of how "wild" and "uncontrollable" children/young people are becoming.

Anyway, that's a bit off topic, so let me finish by once again congratulating your son on his new rank! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!