• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi color

G95champ

I blame it all on the modern need to express individuality which is probably exacerbated by karaoke (isn't everything) and the fact that motor cars are now available in colours other than black!

I do agree that patches (and helping granny across the road badges) should be avoided but I have to admit that in our dojo, anyone without the club patch on tends to stand out. So in the interests of non-individuality I have become compliant.

Actually, I'd rather wear a white belt to match my gi and let people judge me by my performance rather than the colour of my belt - but at this suggestion, serious aspersions were made as to my sanity (or not).

A kiss is worth 2 Karate chops - Snoopy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhh Sai - like a breath of fresh air (no pun intended). However, I think that your enlightened view is not shared by most of the martial arts community.

Maybe again it's the modern day phenomena of Mission Statements, objectives and the need to reach the goal at all costs. It's a bold man who can admit that he has achieved perfection, even in basic kata.

... and I digress again. I did dream last night that I was looking cute in a Size 7 charcoal coloured gi...

before I was hauled in front of Shihan and made to sit in seiza for long enough to make my ankles numb!

A kiss is worth 2 Karate chops - Snoopy

You know an interesting thread might be how do you determine when it is time to retire your gi.

That topic would be very interesting !!! We were talking about this in my karate class recently. A lot of my fellow karate ka know they need new gi's, but can't part with the old ones. An old broken in gi is much more comfortable than a brand new stiff one. :)

Green Belt-Shotokan Karate

At the dojo where I take classes, all of the students must wear a white gi. The instructors are allowed to wear black or white, but no other colors are allowed. I think it looks nicer when everyone wears the same color gi.

Green Belt-Shotokan Karate

Too many colors and your training hall will look like a cicrus instead of a dojo (ha ha). No, my first place wore all black all the time. We even had to have our last names put on the back of the gi top. Now, new students are given the traditional white gi from century (lightweight and cheap). Once you make yellow belt you are allowed to wear white or black gi's, but w'll poke fun at you if you mix 'em (black top, white bottoms, etc.) Black is especially important to the women (you know - the monthly visitor). Anyway, it's white or black gi and only one patch, the organization patch.

I have 5 gi's (3 white and 2 black). I like to wear the black ones for self defens and jujitsu classes due to hitting the floor and getting dirty. White gi's for kata class and when I teach. Our system requires EVERYONE to wear a white gi with the one patch for Black Belt test. Looks very traditional and sharp!

if you want a great gi, check out Dragon Internationals Juka Gi line. 100% brushed cotton. Last long time and great quality.

Once, in my young days I did have a black and red tie-dyed gi that ordered from somewhere on the West coast. It was pretty cool but I felt goofy wearing it anywhere outside the bedroom. Now I put it on for halloween.

NidanWarrior