• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi color

G95champ

We wear a red top with white bottoms, which looks pretty cool with my white belt with red stripe. Yet i've noticed the orange and green belts look really crap cuz the colours clash!

The easiest way out is always through.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ath the local JKA dojo we all wear white. I don't understand the need to wear coloured uniforms. It is not neccessary.

However, in my jiujutsu class, we must wear a black gi.

(Oh, and I wear Mikado gi's)

===================

When cornered, kick 'em in the spetznats. If that doesn't work, run around acting like an epilept + flail your arms about while whizzin' in your pants, then fall down foaming at the mouth. They'll be so disgusted THEY will walk away from the fight....

How about those Camoflage colored belts and Velcro belts in the Century Catalog? They just keep getting more and more of that kinda thing in there :karate:

Also, At my school we always wear White gi, But we can have whatever pads we want. I've seen people come in Canary Yellow pads ( One of my friends ) She's looks like a one of these Emoticons when she spars... Except a more blurred dangerous version to whoever is unlucky enough to spar with her. The standard gi our school sells has the school name symbol on the back Encircling the Wado dove and Wa symbol, but we can order heavyweight gi if we want, which is plain. So I guess the only preference is that our gi be white.

Age-16

Rank/Style-1st Dan Wado Ryu Karate Do

Occupation-Assistant Instructor

At my old school the uniform or pant color denoted rank.

White=all colored belts

White with red trim=Black belt club students

White intructors top with red/blue panels=1st degree

Solid red pants w/instructor top=2nd degree

Solid red instructor top w/ red pants=3rd degree

Red instructor top with blue/white panels=4th degree

During grappling classes all ranks wore a white gi.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I would like to point out that there is no Japanese word “gi” the correct usage is Keikoigi, Karategi, Judogi, Dogi, ect. The development of the modern practice uniform was created by Jigoro Kano the founder of Kodokan Judo. The concept of the modern Karategi is accredited to Gichin Funakoshi, in which he modified the Judogi , by using lighter material cotton than the heaver type of cotton used in the Judogi. By researching the historical photo records it is evident that in Karate the uniforms were all white. This is a reflection of Shinto tradition in which white represents purity, and of Japanese ascetics’ practices of simplicity of the enviroment. The traditional white Karategi , represents cleanliness and purity of thoughts, mind, actions, spirit. Another reason for the white Karategi , is that when one trains in Budo, a major goal is the confrontation the ego ( i.e. not to be egotistical) : by wearing a flamboyant uniform, it is sending a message that the individual is egocentric because they crave attention. In a proper Budo dojo the social or economic background of each member is not important, thus what is salient is to focus on the training in the discipline by this means, the plain white Karategi serves its purpose.

The important tenets of Budo.

1: Jin (benevolence)

2: Gi (justice)

3: Rei (manners)

4: Chi (wisdom)

5: Shin (faithfulness, trustfulness)

" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war "

- Chinese Proverb

my students wear white and i wear black.

to me black is better because it doesn't get dirty as easily.

i do think it is important for students to wear the same color gi's - at least for the same levels.

Black belts in my dojo get to wear whatever the heck they want, as long as it's a gi.

With that in mind, my mom gave me a pair of white pants, and purple top for Christmas... :o

We have other blackbelts who wear combinations of black, blue, red and white. I'm the only purple though. It's just another color, but I feel strange wearing it, like I won't be taken seriously. For that reason, I generally only wear it on kids' nights :P

I think it's a neat color and everything, it just kinda weirds me out.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• 2 months later...
I guess I'll get some flack for this, but, generally speaking, the guys who wear flashy uniforms usually are trying to draw attention to themselves. The ones you should watch out for are the unassuming guys. Wearing a uniform with stripes diagonally and multi paneled ones is just hollywood. The arts generally teach humility, modesty, and internal confidence. Wearing of off the wall uniforms to me is just gaudy and screaming " hey I don't know nothin but I sure look good!"

The most valuable things in life are not held in your hands, but , in your heart.