Opinions of belts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I am actually a judoka, a first brown to be exact, so I do know you can be choked by your own belt, thats why dont tie the belt as tight as youusually would, so it can slip off easier and you can continue without it. Differant schools of Judo have differant preferences about the belt, the last five schools I have been to allowed for one size higher.

btw...nice smiley face on that, its very fashionable.

I have never heard any one speak of the belt as a fashion statement, because to refer to the obi as a fashion statement, is of great dishonor to the meaning of the belt.

Do you know why people put kanji on their belt?

In modern okinawan martial arts they speak of such Bushi Sensei, as matsumura, Itosu, shinken. These martial artists use to embroider their students belts to speak of their rank, and their titles. And the concepts of martial arts that they had to overcome, this is why tradition allows for the belts to be embroidered on longer belts, so that it can be shown.

Competition Uniforms

Higher rank students (mostly black belts) often prefer to wear heavier uniforms which are made of heavy drill cotton or canvas. These uniforms last longer, often look better, and make a louder "snapping" sound when punching and kicking. Some tournament competitors, especially in pattern competition, are aware of the impressive effect of executing kicks and punches with an audible "snap," so they starch the uniform, in particular the sleeves from the elbow down and the pants from the knee down to make these areas make a louder snap.

When sparring rules permit grabbing or throws, many competitors remove the side ties of the jacket. This allows the jacket to slip or even slip off when it is pulled. This give the person more time to react to the grab.

Tournament competitors also favor longer jackets and belts to further their chances of impressing the judges. The idea is that when they are performing low stances, the longer belt and jacket give the appearance of being lower to the ground.

This was taken directly from the site below.

http://tkdtutor.com/02Taekwondo/Uniform/AboutUniform.htm

It does not just go alone with Tae Kwon Do, it can be with alot of martial arts that refer to form in the martial arts.

And are you really gonna be able to concentrate on someone's knee position that well if you are 10-30 feet away from them? I mean you can always be able to tell from differant angles right? Unless you plan to run around them as they do their forms?, That would be a pretty sight. :S

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

If you were in battle would want a ridiculously long belt slapping around? Not cool!

No, but in battle, I wouldn't wear a white gi and no shoes, either.

And are you really gonna be able to concentrate on someone's knee position that well if you are 10-30 feet away from them?

In my judging days, I never had a problem with it.

I do not like the look of longer belts. When judging, I completely look at the bend in the knee.

I am opposed to long belts and folded sleeves and pant legs that expose elbows and knees when bent.

Some of the younger black belts in our school get long belts once they rank to black belt, but this is done so they can grow into the belt.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

• 1 month later...

Lucas Valdesi Has a looooooong belt...just thought I would let people know...now thats just unnatural and stupid...haha

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• 5 months later...

I wrote the rules to the Armed Forces Karate Assn years ago, although similar to the CKL rules they were geared tward international competitors. They worked well.

I once broke a 3 overtime tie between Cynthia Rothrock and George Chung in forms, that day Cynthia won on my vote by one tenth of a point. George ask me what he did wrong and I said he short stroked the round house kick, he smiled and admitted it. That was one of the greatest acts of sportsmanship I ever wintnessed in my years. I was not looking at their belts, I wanted to be fair.

• 2 weeks later...
Whats your opinion on somebody wearing a longer belt so it looks like your stance is deeper?. Im completely against it. but I like the way the longer belts hang...so im really half and half I spose.

If that's the reason, it's silly. I don't even look at the belt when judging. I don't like longer belts because when I do front kicks, the end has a tendency to fly up into my face. So, I wear my proper size or 1/2 size small.

John

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Whats your opinion on somebody wearing a longer belt so it looks like your stance is deeper?. Im completely against it. but I like the way the longer belts hang...so im really half and half I spose.

If that's the reason, it's silly. I don't even look at the belt when judging. I don't like longer belts because when I do front kicks, the end has a tendency to fly up into my face. So, I wear my proper size or 1/2 size small.

John

I agree with you here. If a judge is too busy staring at belt length, and not judging the form, then he probably doesn't have the necessary requirments to be a judge.