• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinions of belts

Whats your opinion on somebody wearing a longer belt so it looks like your stance is deeper?. Im completely against it. but I like the way the longer belts hang...so im really half and half I spose.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard of this practice. I know there are people that wear longer belts. I always thought it was just how their school wore them.

Personally, I don't know how many instructors would be fooled by a long belt. I look at the degree of bend in the knee when I look at people's stances, not the belt.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I just think that a bit of extra length to the belt gives it an aesthetic appeal. And dan members often have inscriptions on their belts, so they have to be long.

Frankly, I also think it makes your waist look smaller. :)

One of the caveats about keeping a belt clean is that those who put it in the dryer may wind up with something they can barely tie. If needed, hand wash the belt in the sink, squeeze out the water "lengthwise" between the thumb and index finger, then let it dry overnight.

BTW, ps1 is right about the instructor looking at knees rather than belt length. My instructor couldn't be fooled if the belt touched the floor. And isn't it better to master a deeper stance than fake it, to live the part rather than act it? I think you're right to be against it, Traymond.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I don't think a longer belt would fool most judges. Like ps1 said, judges will be looking at the legs for the stances, not the belt.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Haha all very true, but what if your doing it at a higher level. Though, some martial artists are watering their art down, and if they prefer to wear baggier pants, or a longer keikogi or jacket, than the knee placement can be misguided. Cause I prefer to wear a pant size bigger, no real reason , but its still harder to find the knee placement, at a distance.

Haha all very true, but what if your doing it at a higher level. Though, some martial artists are watering their art down, and if they prefer to wear baggier pants, or a longer keikogi or jacket, than the knee placement can be misguided. Cause I prefer to wear a pant size bigger, no real reason , but its still harder to find the knee placement, at a distance.

Let us suppose, for the moment, it does work. I begin wearing a strategically fit gi to make me appear better. Let us also suppose that it does fool the judges. I become a world champion in forms/kata. What does that really mean? I submit that it means absolutely nothing! Because when I'm 60, 70, 80 or even 100 years old; what do I have? A shelf full of trophies? Perhaps. The satisfaction of knowing I worked hard and earned them? No. I am simply left an old man who was probably good enough to win without cheating...but will never know for sure. Empty, hollow, and learning what really matters far to late for it to make a difference anymore.

Let them wear what they want.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Let us suppose, for the moment, it does work. I begin wearing a strategically fit gi to make me appear better. Let us also suppose that it does fool the judges. . . . I submit that it means absolutely nothing! . . . I am simply left an old man who was probably good enough to win without cheating...but will never know for sure.

And what do you say to your children, who see the stolen trophies and think you're a hero--but you feel hollow inside, knowing you are a thief, an idol with feet of clay.

What would you say if your own child cheated to win? Would you condone it? Or would you say, "Don't be like me!"

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

To be quite honest, when I see someone, especially a kid, with a very long belt, my first thought is that the instructor ran out of/never ordered that persons size. To me a long belt just looks like some kid wearing their dads shoes.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Whats your opinion on somebody wearing a longer belt so it looks like your stance is deeper?. Im completely against it. but I like the way the longer belts hang...so im really half and half I spose.

You know something? I've never thought of it in that particular way. Personally speaking, my belt is not longer than my mid-thigh area because I have writing and characters on both sides of my belt. I also know that when my belt looks like it's getting shorter, it's time to increase the cardio workouts - LOL :lol:

So, yeah, I gauge the length on the size of my waist or weight (and vice-versa) :lol: :P :oops:

That being said, at a tournament or in class, an observant teacher will look at your legs and knees to determine if your stance is correct or not. I doubt they would look at your belt length to determine the stance quality.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Its true that we should let them wear what they want to wear, but what good does it do for the school they represent. We compete to figure out who we truly are, we can never know if we act that way, and nor can it be known to anyone else. So thats why im against it. i dont care how they feel, I care about their evaluation that others give them, especially when it is something they do not deserve.

I like the longer belts, because I have LOTS of writing, Hangul, Nihon, and I believe arabic. But im not sure anymore. But thats the only reason why I have a longer belt.